Author Topic: Happy Anniversary!  (Read 3135 times)

QUADCH

Happy Anniversary!
« on: February 21, 2009, 12:30:33 PM »
A very interesting article on the breed and club history by Richard Orr on the website. I guess 2009 is the 25th year Anniversary of the Ameraucana LF, in terms of the APA anyhow. I bet that makes a few of you feel pretty old!  :D But how nice to have the history documented from the very start by the people that lived through it. The club started with 11 original members, anyone know how many members ABC has now?

Mike Gilbert

Happy Anniversary!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 02:57:25 PM »
Thanks for your comments.   Membership has varied over the years, but the last I heard we had around 150 paid members.   Michael Muenks would have current information.
Twenty five years may seem like a lot to some, but to me it doesn\'t seem long at all.    While Richard Orr wrote the piece you read, he was not a member until much later and did his work based on interviews with those of us who were  involved at the time and on old newsletters and other previously written documents.   I must say it is rewarding to see the work continuing through the efforts of good folks, many of which we also count as close friends.    

bantamhill

Happy Anniversary!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 09:42:40 PM »
These numbers are accurate as of 8:30pm CST on 2-27-09 by district.

SE - 15 paid for 2009 (12 have not renewed yet from 2008)
SC - 19 paid for 2009 (7 have not renewed yet from 2008)
W - 21 paid for 2009 (12 have not renewed yet from 2008)
SC - 22 paid for 2009 (19 have not renewed yet from 2008)
SC - 23 paid for 2009 (10 have not renewed yet from 2008)

Total Current Members - 90

Total Possible Renewals - 60

We have nice number of new members this year and I encourage all to join.

Michael

John

Happy Anniversary!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 10:18:28 AM »
how many members ABC has now?

I was secretary for several years and was always amazed at the number for people that would not renew thier membership.  Most weren\'t upset or had any complaints with the club...they just didn\'t continue. At the same time during the course of each year we would pick up many new members and generally ended each year with more members than the prior year.
We still have 3 charter members in the club: Don Cable, Mike Gilbert and Jerry Segler.

QUADCH

Happy Anniversary!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 10:44:39 PM »
Those are pretty decent numbers for a single breed club.

Quote from: John

I was secretary for several years and was always amazed at the number for people that would not renew thier membership.  

I see that in a lot of other clubs too. I think a lot of people think its a one time thing. They join, then they\'re a member, done. Lots of people continue to advertise that they are a member of xxx club when they haven\'t paid dues in years. On the other hand, I\'ve joined clubs before and received absolutely nothing in return. Not so much as a welcome note. But they do cash the check. In those cases I don\'t renew either. Communication with members is so important to keep a club going. I was just having this conversation with a friend the other day.

Thanks for the info.

Mike Gilbert

Happy Anniversary!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 08:08:19 PM »
Quote from: QUADCH
. . . . On the other hand, I\'ve joined clubs before and received absolutely nothing in return. Not so much as a welcome note. But they do cash the check. In those cases I don\'t renew either. Communication with members is so important to keep a club going. I was just having this conversation with a friend the other day.

Thanks for the info.

So - how would you rate the A.B.C.?    Do you think it would be useful to do a survey of new members and non-renewing members to get their feedback as to whether or not we are doing a good job?   And to help determine reasons for non-renewal in case there is something we can do better?

QUADCH

Happy Anniversary!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 11:30:42 AM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert

So - how would you rate the A.B.C.?    Do you think it would be useful to do a survey of new members and non-renewing members to get their feedback as to whether or not we are doing a good job?   And to help determine reasons for non-renewal in case there is something we can do better?

IMO getting feedback is never a bad thing...it sometimes requires a thick skin though, :stare: but it can be useful. However I\'m not one to suggest adding more work to any club or show secretary\'s already busy enough job and I\'m not suggesting you\'re doing anything that needs fixing. I can say that my general impression of the ABC (as a non member) has been that it is a well informed, helpful, friendly, active, up to date, organized group. No condescending, sarcastic replies to beginner or basic questions on this board, which is refreshing to see.  I show other breeds and have dabbled with Ameraucanas here and there. (Showed a trio of blacks a bit) and I find I keep coming back to them. This year I\'m interested in getting serious with them, so I did recently join the ABC. I\'m looking forward to getting good information on type and breeding. So IMO you are doing a great job! Keep it up! :D

Mike Gilbert

Happy Anniversary!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 07:21:17 PM »
That is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.