Author Topic: Beards and Muffs Genetics  (Read 3508 times)

Beards and Muffs Genetics
« on: February 26, 2009, 09:51:49 PM »
So we are nearing a point where we will be thinning our flock of BBS Ameraucanas.

I am sure this has been asked before, however I did\'t get a complete answer in a search.

I was sitting in the run last weekend and noticed a fair number who are wearing beards and muffs.

For the cockerels, I would suggest it is obviously a trip to freezer camp.

For the pullets. I need help in better understanding the genes involved. Can a non-bearded/muffed pullet be used at all in a breeding program without causing serious harm?

Are B/M dominant?

Help me on genetics please, please.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 11:33:12 AM »
The beard and muff trait is dominant, which means your clean faced birds have no genetic ability to transmit the trait to their offspring.    \"BBS Ameraucanas\"?    What is that?   And why do the muffed cockerels go the freezer???

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 02:31:46 PM »
Mike,

It is an abbreviation for blue, black and splash.  

Cull all clean faced birds or use the females for eggs only.
Jean

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 08:35:50 PM »
OK,

Thanks for the info.

BBS is Blue black splash.

The original post was intended to be non-bearded / non-muffed go to freezer camp.

So if I breed all bearded/muffed to bearded/muffed we will get all bearded/muffed?

Thanks again

Don

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 09:56:52 PM »
Quote from: Nivtup

\"So if I breed all bearded/muffed to bearded/muffed we will get all bearded/muffed?\"

Only if all the birds of at least one sex of your mating is pure for the muffs and beard trait.   Mating two birds that are both heterozygotes for muffs and beard will give you about 25% clean faced offspring.

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 10:06:50 PM »
Thanks Mike.

So then is it most desirable to breed for two copies of the gene?

If so, is there a way to tell who is pure, and who carries only one sopy of the gene by any way other than test breeding?

Thanks again,

Don

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 08:31:39 AM »
With careful observation over time a breeder should be able to predict with reasonable certainty which of a particular line of Ameraucanas are pure for muffs.   Those that are pure (homozygous) will usually have somewhat fuller muffs and beards that those that carry only one copy.   It takes some experience with any particular line.   Those lines that are softer feathered, such as my bantam buffs, will usually have
fuller muffs, while those that have harder feathes, like my bantam brown-reds, will have somewhat smaller muffs.   Both lines are homozygous for muffs, as are all my other Ameraucana lines at this point in time.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 08:34:06 AM »
Mike,

Thank you so much for all the information, it is very truly appreciated.

Don