Author Topic: New (sort of) to the forum  (Read 3022 times)

New (sort of) to the forum
« on: March 20, 2009, 03:34:17 PM »
Hi folks

I joined last year but have never posted.  I hate lurking, so I just wanted to let you know I am here reading and breeding.

I\'ve got some blues and blacks, as well as wheatens and blue wheatens, and I couldn\'t resist helping along with the lavender color and have some of those in my bator.

Take care, ya\'ll.

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 07:43:11 AM »
Welcome to the forum,  do you raise bantam or Large fowl?  Where are located?  Do you show? It would be nice to see some pics of your birds.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 01:44:37 PM »
Hi and thanks for the welcome.

I will download some photos of my birds.  I have some lavenders on day 8 in my incubator from Harry, some blue wheatens/wheatens from Doug D, and some blue/blacks from several breeders, including a really beautiful roo from Geareduplyn.

I\'ll post later.  

These birds are great for Maine, where it has many days well below zero, before the windchill is factored in.  Their combs don\'t get frostbite like my Marans.

I visited someone with Spangled Russian Orloffs last week and thought how neat it would be to make a spangled Ameraucana as their body types are a bit similar.  I know some folks are working on various colors, including mottled.  I am too new to breeding to embark on something like this.  But am partial to mille fleurs and spangles.  (I have d\'uccles and Brabanters, as well)  I would also love to see a lemon blue.

I may use my brabanters to work on a spangle ameraucana, just for fun.  But am truly humbled when I read about some of you folks who started breeding back before these birds were approved by the APA.  :)

Oh I raise LF, but have been tempted to order some bantams from John, or Sara.  My 3 kids prefer bantams, so I may do this next year.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 11:06:38 AM »
Okay, I am home sick today and ran to the barn to try to get pictures.  The wind feels like it is blowing straight from the artic, so I only took 3 shots of one pen.

Here are my wheaten/blue wheatens. Don\'t be alarmed.  You will see a few wheaten Marans in there.  :)

So the browse function is not working.  When it does, I will add the picture.

Edited to add:  Looks like I have to post another reply to try the browse function again.

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 11:32:36 AM »
These wheatens/blue wheatens were hatched Nov 08  Again, there are a few Wheaten Marans in there.

One of my blue cockerels, but not the best one.  I couldn\'t get a good shot of him today.  He is huddled inside with the hens.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 06:29:20 PM »
Hey I have Harry\'s lavs in the bator also...day 4.  Be sure to post pics of your babies.

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 08:24:28 PM »
You have some nice birds!
The lacing on your Blue roo\'s breast is better than most I\'ve seen, and your Wheaten hens have nice dark color.
Congratulations! And welcome to the ABC!

Tailfeathers

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 08:49:14 PM »
Welcome Aboard!

I believe I just saw you over at BYC.  

God Bless,

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 09:44:17 AM »
Thanks SpeckledHills.

The lacing seems nice on the hens as well.  I am also lucky, as the eggs are a nice blue.  I would like feed back on my main Blue roo and will ask for critiques when I can get a good shot of him, if folks would share their knowledge.  

Hey Tailfeathers.  

Chickenstalker, my lavs are due to hatch around the 1st of April.  I will post chick pics.