Author Topic: Newsletter and Badger P.C. Show  (Read 2340 times)

Mike Gilbert

Newsletter and Badger P.C. Show
« on: June 07, 2009, 10:21:43 PM »
I received the ABC Newsletter Saturday, and once again want to thank Michael Muenks for doing a great job.   Thanks also to John and all the directors for writing.    And it was so nice to receive a public thank you from young Miss Pickard.   I just have one question:  Who is that little guy pictured on the front page?    Looks like he could grow up to be a shady character.

I assisted with putting on my local poultry club\'s annual spring show at Richland Center on Saturday.   There was only one bantam Ameraucana in the open show (was not mine) and five large fowl.   A white large fowl hen went to champion row as Reserve AOSB, but there were some nice blacks and a pair of Brown Reds (shown by John Bashaw) as well, with four exhibitors in all showing large fowl.    In the Junior portion of the show there were five bantams shown by about three different exhibitors.   The Fingers family of Madison, WI had B.B. Ameraucana bantam on a blue wheaten hen.  Reserve went to a black hen.     We had good weather and a good turnout - well over 1,000 entries.   But it takes a lot of work to put on a one-day show.   Mary and I left home at 5 a.m. and returned after clean up at 11:45 p.m.    We took it easy today.  By the way, Supreme Champion of the show was a standard Light Brown Leghorn hen by Forrest Beauford of Oklahoma.   Reserve Champion was a bantam White Chantecler cock by Michael Tuyls of Wisconsin.    It appears we have even more competition now in the AOCCL class!

QUADCH

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 04:49:57 PM »
Mike,
Were we are the same show??? The badger show I was at was cold and rainy, Forest Beauford\'s  black Langshan was grand Champion and a Black Ameraucana hen was reserve AOSB. Have I lost my mind??  :thinking: I do know that the bantam White Chantecler cock was absolutely stunning and the club members did a great job with the show. Brats were super yummy! Thanks!

I second the awesome job on the newsletter!

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 07:23:01 PM »
You are probably right about the winners, as I got my information second hand and may have heard it wrong.   I was the guy taking pictures of the kids and their winning birds in the corner of the lunch/awards building, and did not get out to see Champion Row after it was completed.   I could have sworn there was a white L.F. Ameraucana in the hole for reserve AOSB early on, but maybe that was a mistake and got changed.   I understand there was a bit of miscommunication between some of the clerks and the show secretary.   I was told the brown leghorn was show champion, but apparently was misinformed.  Thanks for the corrections.
It was cool, and we had some light rain, but that beats the 90 degrees plus we had last year with a toronado touching down a half mile away during cleanup.   Cool is a lot better chicken weather than hot IMHO.  So I guess it\'s all relative.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 07:39:14 PM »
I spoke with the Show Secretary today, Ruth Lefeber.  It turns out the Grand Champion of the show and Champion large fowl was the Brown Leghorn hen as first reported.   The Black Langshan was reserve champion large fowl.   Both were shown by Forrest Beauford of Okalahoma.   The Champion AOSB was a Black Sumatra by Wade Lefeber, and reserve champio AOSB was a Black Ameraucana by Gary Klug.   The Poultry Press will have more details.