Author Topic: Mc Graw Ameraucanas  (Read 3008 times)

Mc Graw Ameraucanas
« on: July 13, 2009, 01:12:41 PM »
I am new to the Ameraucana experience and am looking for information related to a particular strain of these birds.
It is my understanding that a Dr. McGraw from Alabama I believe spent considerable time and effort developing a strain of birds that in some respects resemble Silver Spngled Hamburgs.
I am wondering if anyone is familiar with this strain and/or the man and could share related information with me.

Mike Gilbert

Mc Graw Ameraucanas
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 01:50:21 PM »
He used to advertise in Poultry Press regularly, but I believe he is deceased.    I never saw his birds.   He advertised them as Araucanas rather than Ameraucanas if memory serves.

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Mc Graw Ameraucanas
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 05:46:23 PM »
ebj3810,
   I talked to his son last year and he still has Dr. Al McGraw\'s birds and was selling chicks.  The silver spangled gene is still in his Manx Rumpies and had what I believe he called them Araucanas but they were probably tailed and had no muffs or beards.  You may be able to create a strain of Ameraucanas from them.
   I have a manx rumpie silver spangled hen right now and am trying to make some Silver Spangled rumpless/tufted Araucanas from her.  I have no time or space to try the Ameraucana project at this time.  They do have yellow legs so you would have to work on leg color.  The genetics experts here may be able to tell you if this color is feasable with the Ameraucana standard as far as leg color.  That would probably be the only hurdle needed since silver and silver spangled will give you the color and the muffs and beards should be able to be added.  Good luck if this is a project you are attempting.  
Harry Shaffer

Mike Gilbert

Mc Graw Ameraucanas
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 06:03:43 PM »
Silver Spangled Hamburgs have slate legs, so that part is not a problem.   I suspect that eradicating the white earlobes might take a few years and getting them up to standard size would pose a challenge.

Mc Graw Ameraucanas
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 02:14:59 PM »
Thank you for the response to my original inquiry.  These birds it would seem do have a tail and blue legs, but they do not have a muff or beard.  They are nowhere near the Ameraucana standard but through additional development possibly could make the transition.
If anyone could provide me with a waqy to contact the gentleman\'s son it would be greatly appreciated.