Author Topic: incubator  (Read 2129 times)

incubator
« on: August 14, 2009, 07:54:45 PM »
I need some help, i need to know what brand of incubator and egg turner i should buy for my ameraucanas chickens. and what should i look for.

verycherry

incubator
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 03:39:47 PM »
There are so many, both incubators and opinions, but if you specify a price range, and how many eggs a year you plan on hatching, it would be easier to give you a recommendation.

I have two table top models, but would love to have a nice professional cabinet incubator one day.  I\'ve heard the Sportman is the best, but there are some other brands that are very similar and probably just as good.  I think these are in the $600.00 range.

One of my incubators, in my opinion, isn\'t very good at all, although I know others that have relatively good luck with the same model.  I mainly have it as a backup.  I have a problem with high humidity in the house though, so that might be part of my problem.  I\'m speaking about a Little Giant Still Air.  If you were to buy one, I\'d suggest getting both the optional fan kit (or just buy the model with the fan), and also the egg turner.

The other machine I have is the Brinsea 20.  It only holds 24 standard eggs, but I recently put in 8 regular eggs and 21 bantam eggs.  I love it, and am thinking about buying another, maybe even the Brinsea 40.  I can set it and just keep a lazy eye on it, usually checking the humidity level and temp once a day is enough.  I might add a bit of water every few days but that\'s it.  I know you can buy them on the website.  I\'m not sure what stores carry them.

If I hadn\'t have bought the Brinsea, I\'d have bought the Genesis.  That\'s a very good lower priced one too.

John

incubator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 08:05:35 PM »