Author Topic: Late May Early June Chicks  (Read 3651 times)

philipu

Late May Early June Chicks
« on: August 18, 2009, 12:45:14 PM »
Here are some quick snaps of the chicks I hatched this spring from
eggs from Jean.
3 cockerels and 4 pullets.
Thanks, phil

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 01:49:13 PM »
The wheatens and blue wheatens go through lots of color changes before they mature.   The last cockerel appears to be a splash wheaten.     They look good for their age.

philipu

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 03:07:06 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
The wheatens and blue wheatens go through lots of color changes before they mature.   The last cockerel appears to be a splash wheaten.     They look good for their age.

Thanks Mike,
It will be interesting to see how they end up.

I started them on a high protein diet, still a little on the high end,
I feed them the same as my game and cornish, all get the
same basic feed.  I started these meatbird finsher, and
then went to a flock formula, about 20 percent.
Now the free range during the day still get the 20 percent protein, plus a lttle scratch, soaked oats and barley, treats a couple of times a week, I use the Ol Roy, soft and moist, all I have to do is rattle the bag, and they come a running...
I used the soft and moist to get all the birds to come, if I
want to see them all in one place.
Later, phil

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 01:02:57 AM »
If you keep spoiling them like that you\'ll end up looking like one of those old New Yorkers at a park bench with the pigeons sitting on them!

I love the disposition of this variety, very friendly.  
Jean

philipu

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 11:15:43 AM »
Quote from: Jean
If you keep spoiling them like that you\'ll end up looking like one of those old New Yorkers at a park bench with the pigeons sitting on them!

I love the disposition of this variety, very friendly.  

Hi Jean,

I don\'t know about the New Yorker bit, but the rest is right on...

Jean are you going to the show in Great Falls this fall?

Thanks Jean, these birds I hatched came from Jean\"s birds
eggs.
phil

verycherry

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 12:10:37 PM »
Those are some nice looking young birds.  I\'ve always liked the color, but I can\'t have Ameraucanas in every single variety, so I opted for Blue Wheaten in my Marans instead.

I have three young birds I hatched from Jeans eggs earlier this year and they\'re also starting to look very nice.  Very strong and vigorous, and I believe all female.  They\'re solid black, but carry the lavender gene.  I have some of John\'s in the same color.  The leg color on Jeans is a little lighter, so I don\'t think I\'ll have to worry about banding them to tell them apart.

Good luck with these.  I know you\'re proud of them.

philipu

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 08:54:10 PM »
Quote from: verycherry
Those are some nice looking young birds.  I\'ve always liked the color, but I can\'t have Ameraucanas in every single variety, so I opted for Blue Wheaten in my Marans instead.

I have three young birds I hatched from Jeans eggs earlier this year and they\'re also starting to look very nice.  Very strong and vigorous, and I believe all female.  They\'re solid black, but carry the lavender gene.  I have some of John\'s in the same color.  The leg color on Jeans is a little lighter, so I don\'t think I\'ll have to worry about banding them to tell them apart.

Good luck with these.  I know you\'re proud of them.

Thanks, how did you manage to get all female?
I usually always have more males than female.

At this point I won\'t have to band them, all of these came from
Jeans  eggs.

They are very active and busy, I don\'t think I\'ve ever had a breed that was active....what I dislike is \"flighty\", I don\'t like
birds that react that way.

Thanks again, phil

verycherry

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 01:28:36 AM »
Thanks, how did you manage to get all female?
I usually always have more males than female.

Oh I\'ve had males, more than I\'d like, but not nearly as many of them as females, so I can\'t complain.  From John\'s eggs, I either have 2 males and 4 females, or 3 males and 3 females.  This one chick keeps making me change my mind.    

I have a few of the flighty breeds, SS Hamburgs and Leghorns, but those are in with my laying and free ranging flock so I enjoy watching them......but it\'s heck trying to catch one!

Tailfeathers

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 08:24:19 PM »
It probably has something to do with Global Warming!  LOL     :rolleyes:

I sure can\'t explain it but I\'ve been blessed this year with about 90% females to males in both my Ameraucanas and my Welsummers.  My Barnies gave me about 50/50.

God Bless,

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 10:23:13 PM »
Strange.   I had the same experience with my Buff Chanteclers this year, i.e., at least 80% females.