Author Topic: BW Cockerel Pics  (Read 2802 times)

Birch Run Farm

BW Cockerel Pics
« on: September 28, 2009, 12:53:01 PM »
So how is his color so far?

His beard is turning blue

He doesn\'t have a crooked foot, he\'s just being a goof.

Mike Gilbert

BW Cockerel Pics
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 02:36:04 PM »
Coloring looks good except for wing bay, which should be almost entirely red/bay in color.  The very slight striping in hackle is not too bad, especially for large fowl.   I like the shade of \"blue\" with the dark edging to set it off.  It\'s good that he doesn\'t have a lot of red ticking in the thigh and fluff as many of this variety do.   Don\'t like the tail set, which should flow smoothly from back to tail instead of the rather abrupt break.   Could use more chest, which is typical of males in this variety.   All in all, not a bad bird.

Birch Run Farm

BW Cockerel Pics
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 03:49:21 PM »
Thanks Mike, I am hoping he fills out more!  I think his primaries ared still growing in so I will keep an eye on the color.  All he does is run around chasing hens, he\'s about to get seperated for the winter.  

BW Cockerel Pics
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 06:26:05 PM »
wow very pretty

Tailfeathers

BW Cockerel Pics
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 10:10:42 PM »
I would echo Mike\'s comments.  He\'s better than the BW I\'ve got right now.  Hopefully I\'ll get some cockerels that turn out better than the one I\'ve got.  I like the blue with the dark edging as well.  Makes it look almost like a lacing and sets the feathering off well.  Hopefully the wing bay will come all the way in with time.

Now, here\'s a question for Mike and others.  WRT the hackles, my BW started out with one solid color but has now turned to almost yellow hackles at the base of the neck. Just about where you see the color variation on this bird.  Shouldn\'t the hackle be one color all the way down?

Btw, if this isn\'t obvious, I don\'t have a Standard yet because the APA has supposedly been going to put a new one out since I talked with Sam early this year.  I am \"patiently\" waiting for the new one to hit the street!

God Bless,

Birch Run Farm

BW Cockerel Pics
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 07:23:33 AM »
I\'m in the same boat you are on waiting for the new Standard.  That\'s why I ask a lot of questions on my birds.  I don\'t have a Standard yet.  

Mike Gilbert

BW Cockerel Pics
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 09:35:18 AM »
Quote:  \"Neck: Hackle  - - light orange shading to golden at lower extremities, free from dark striping.\"  end quote.