The Official Forum of the Ameraucana Breeders Club > Breeding

Weird Markings

(1/5) > >>

Tailfeathers:
John, your post on the weird colored Silver is ironically very timely.  Mike, this is the chick I was telling you about.

I\'m attaching some pics of one of my young Wheaten Pullets.  Notice the black tipped feathering.  It reminds me of when one takes a blow torch to a piece of wood.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone else experienced this?
2) I\'m guessing this is a cull but is there any correlation between the black markings and anything else?  (i.e.  I was told that black ticking in the hackles of the female leads to black striping in the hackles of males.
3) Should I be concerned about this condition popping up in the lines of offspring of other hens/cocks that are of her same line?
4) What other feedback, advice, counsel, can you all give about this condition?

I forgot I wanted to take some pics of my BW Rooster today.  He is developing black spots in his hackles.  This made me check the parentage of the above chick.  However, she is the result of my #11 Wheaten rooster and my #13 Wheaten hen.  So there is no correlation there because neither of them show any black ticking at all.  

Btw, I was having a dickens of a time trying to add the above attachments.  Thankfully, the method that I was shown for BYC works here too.

So what do y\'all think?

God Bless,

Mike Gilbert:
It looks like some male hormones could be at work in this one too, though not as severe as those two of John\'s.   I think I would give this one some time to see.   She will likely change in coloring as she matures.  

grisaboy:

I think she has a dose of melanizers.
Like the recessive black gene in Brassy Back Old English.
Recessive black causes black lacing in female wheatons.

Curtis

Tailfeathers:
Thanks guys for the replies.  Mike, suppose I do give more time - which I plan to just to see what kind of egg she lays - but what about my questions above?  Have you experienced this?  She most likely will pass this condition on, won\'t she?  Is there any correlation between this black ticking and it showing up in the hackles of males or such?  

Anyone else got any feedback?  Paul, are you watching this thread?

God Bless,

Mike Gilbert:
I don\'t remember having one colored like that.   I\'m not sure where the recessive black would have come from, as I\'m quite sure she came out of a line that had been bred for years without similar results, is that correct?   Or has some rooster been jumping the fence?    As far as I know, all the large fowl wheatens and blue wheatens were originally bred up by Wayne Meredith of Wisconsin using his easter eggers and some of my bantams many years ago.    Has anyone else developed a completely different line?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version