Author Topic: Two Black Pullets - Evaluate  (Read 2027 times)

Birch Run Farm

Two Black Pullets - Evaluate
« on: September 23, 2009, 02:43:26 PM »
Here are some photos of two of my blacks.  One is very black and this was pointed out to me by Jean.  Her face skin is very black and her eyes are dark, but the bottoms of her feet are white.

What is the dynamic causing this?  Also, they are still pretty young and not of laying age yet.

Does #1 have good enough qualities to show?

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 02:53:34 PM »
The first looks pretty good, though even her eyes are too dark in my opinion.   The tail should be held higher, at about 40 to 45 degrees above horizontal.    How is her weight?  The standard for pullets is 4 1/2 lbs, hens 5 1/2 lbs.   Sure, bring her to the national in Columbus and see how she does!
The second bird is nothing I would use as a breeder due to her dark skin and eyes.   There may be some Sumatra in her bloodlines - or Silkie.

Birch Run Farm

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 03:01:06 PM »
I won\'t be able to make Ohio, but I may take her to NEPC in January if she fills out nice.  I think she\'s just holding her tail that way because I was stalking her with the camera.  I\'ll get more photos as she matures.  She is still growing in plumage and her face skin just started turning red.

Both are good sized pullets, neither looks small.  They were purchased hatching eggs.