Author Topic: odd egg  (Read 2925 times)

cedarpondfarm

odd egg
« on: October 23, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
I keep a few goodnatured, free roaming chickens for my grandchildren to feed, hold and pet.  They are not my nicer birds, just multi colored easter eggers but they do have full muffs and beard, slate legs, and red bay eyes.  They lay a medium size blue egg.  Except for one.  This pullet, I don\'t know which one it is, lays an egg every other day - an absolutely HUGE blue egg with double yolks every time.  They have been laying for almost 4 months so it goes beyond the occasional early pullet egg that might have a double yolk.  Just curious if any one has seen this before.  

bantamhill

odd egg
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 03:31:38 PM »
Sounds like she has an issue with her hen-along. It might fix itself after a molt. I have gotten double yolked eggs from time to time, but never on a regular bases from a hen.

Michael

cedarpondfarm

odd egg
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 11:38:58 AM »
Just an update on that pullet.  When I sold her she was still laying a very large egg with a double yolk about every 3 days - no singles.    

I told the buyer that if the hen continued like that, she would not be able to reproduce herself and would run out of eggs sooner than a normal hen.  But I don\'t think she believed me.  She was cradling that chicken like the goose who laid the golden egg.

Was I right ?  Do double yolks count as 2 eggs in a hen\'s life?

:0)

Blue Egg Acres

odd egg
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 09:14:50 PM »
Good question. Anxious to hear if anyone has the answer.

Beth C

odd egg
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 08:23:13 AM »
That\'s a good question. If she\'s laying double yolks every 2-3 days, as opposed to a single yolk daily, it seems she\'d still be going at about the same rate, but I\'d love to hear what others think. But you\'re right - highly unlikely she\'d reproduce. I\'ve heard of double yolks hatching, but it\'s pretty rare.

But it sounds like the buyer was pretty taken with her either way. Sometimes it\'s enough just to have something \"cool,\" even if it may not be the most productive.

John

odd egg
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 12:04:05 PM »
Was I right ? Do double yolks count as 2 eggs in a hen\'s life?

I have to assume that you are right and can\'t think of an alternative.