Author Topic: 160th Boston Poultry Show- Pic Heavy  (Read 3775 times)

Birch Run Farm

160th Boston Poultry Show- Pic Heavy
« on: November 02, 2009, 09:50:59 AM »

160th BOSTON POULTRY EXPOSITION
Judges: Don Nelson, Butch Gunderson and Merele Watson

This is only my second poultry exhibition ever and my first time showing ameraucanas.  I selected only two birds to take, my blue wheaten cockerel, Mr. Magoo and one of my black pullets, Prissy.  My plans were to also take two of my araucanas but that changed when they looked like porcupines rather than chickens due to molting.

I prepped my selections the same way as I did for a previous show.  Prepared dog crates for indoor housing in my basement and brought the birds in for a bath and blow dry a few days before the show.

Mr. Magoo getting cleaned up

In his show coop

Prissy\'s turn, yes, I use Pantene shampoo and conditioner on my poultry.

Prissy was pretty muddy coming out of the coop and I had forgotten how big her beard and muff was.

In her show coop

I drove from Vermont early the morning of the show and arrived timely to coop in.  Cooping in was busy and cheerful, word had it one of the judges had the flu.  Getting through all of the birds took until 1530 or so.

View of the exhibit hall

Stats:  there were 1230 birds entered and this was the listed breakdown: 735 bantam, 242 LF, 241 waterfowl, 12 pigeons.  I saw half a dozen or so turkeys but they were not in this list.

So there were several empty coops and my ameraucanas were the only ones, no competition showed which was a bummer.  I really wanted to see how my birds would do against some others.

Large fowl was judged by Don Nelson.  He clearly enjoyed his job and was smiling no matter what breeds and who\'s birds he was looking at.  I wrote a sad face and \'in molt\' on my empty araucana coops.  When the judge came around the corner he laughed at that.  ASOB was last and the judge gave BB to Magoo and RB to Prissy.  He never came back for a second look for AOSB champion and stayed with the moderns and pinned a modern hen as class champ.  I think my birds will look better next year as full adults.  Any comments are appreciated.

I did not see any bantam ameraucanas but there may have been some, I just did not see them.  I did see a few bantam araucanas.

HOWEVER, for your viewing enjoyment (or not) these birds were listed as ameraucanas in the Juniors:

There were two males like this:

I do not know what color they were supposed to be, the tags just said \'ameraucana\'.

And this yellow legged, single combed, wattled, non bearded pullet was next to them.

A different judge (Judge Gunderson) did the junior birds and this displayed female was DQ\'d for comb but no notes were written about the other faults.  And one of the males was DQ\'d for comb and again no notes left for leg color nor why the coop tag did not specify type.  The other male, same color, was not DQ\'d.

If they are a specific type, I do not know enough to say which.  I don\'t remember an AOV class for ameraucana.

There were two other pullets there both called red brown.  They were bearded and muffed but I think one had green legs, the other one had slate legs.  Again, I don\'t know enough about that color type to make a comment other than the obvious faults.

Over all I was a bit surprised some people showed filthy birds and I saw a few with scaley leg.  I imagine they had more than that.  Over-all the majority of fowls were in very nice shape.  Many did show birds that were prickly with molt.

My birds were well behaved but I think Magoo was the absolute loudest crowing male there.  Prissy was fussing a lot by noon and I figured she wanted to lay an egg but was too shy with the other birds and strange setting.  She laid one in the car on the way home though.  Lots of people stopped to look and I met some others who stopped to chat about ameraucanas.  Always good to meet new friends!

There was an outdoor tailgate area with lots of fowls for sale, a meal vendor and plenty of close by parking.  The landowner had a gorgeous flock of barhead geese which were stunning out on grass.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 10:56:25 AM »
Ann, sounds like a good time, glad you enjoyed it.   I don\'t think the judges in the northeast get to judge a lot of Ameraucanas or Araucanas, so are probably not comfortable placing them beyond B.B.     Those junior birds are typical hatchery stock, not even Ameraucanas, and those with other than slate or black shanks should have been disqualified.   Would you like me to mention it to Butch when I see him?
He is pretty easy to talk to, and probably didn\'t want to give any junior exhibitors a turn-off.   On the other hand, he didn\'t do them any favors either, by helping to perpetuate ignorance.
Your call.  Anyway, your birds did look good in the pictures.

Birch Run Farm

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 11:31:35 AM »
I think he should have taken the time to write some notes so exhibitors, whether junior, or not know that what they are showing is not an ameraucana or araucana.  So yes, at least see what he says.

Also, I have only been to two shows so my opinion is to be taken with a grain of salt too.  But I notice the LF who make it to champion row are pretty much the same, white rocks, games and buff cochins.  

I think the bantam cochins look much nicer than the LF.  Not attractive to me at all, it was just BIG and golden but very poopy.  Again, just an opinion!  Sadly, there were no RIR, black giant or other \'common\' American breeds.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 12:37:32 PM »
Nice clean hackles on that blue wheaten!! Is he from my place?????

If not, where\'d you get him?

Jean

Birch Run Farm

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 12:55:46 PM »
Jean,

I bought eggs from someone and was told he is from Paul Smith lines.  I am not sure who Paul is yet but I am guessing you know.  FWIW- I am looking for a couple of good pullets to put with him.  Got any?  I\'d certainly trade plenty of hatching eggs for two good girls.