Author Topic: Brown Red color description?  (Read 2306 times)

Brown Red color description?
« on: October 31, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
 First a quick hello! I am new to the board, but have been a lurker for a few years now. I currently have Brown reds, and they will be my main focus next year. I made the hard decision to get rid of most of my pet chickies, thus cutting my flock in half. But now I have more room, and more time to focus on two or three breeds (I just can\'t get rid of my BBS Jersey girls).

Now to the rambling questions:

I know that Brown Red is in the birchen family of markings (I hope I worded that right), but how is it different from Black gold and Copper Black? I know these are all the same gold based birchen pattern, but what is the difference genetically?
What color should the hackle and saddle feathers be in a Brown Red?
Which is worse (from a breeding standpoint)- too much lacing on the breast, or too little lacing?
How hard is it to get riding of light feather shafts?

Ok, that should be enough for all the gurus out there to chew on.

Thanks,
Amelia in Ky

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 04:17:30 PM »
Quote from: Turtleblossom
I know that Brown Red is in the birchen family of markings (I hope I worded that right), but how is it different from Black gold and Copper Black? BLACK GOLD IS A MODIFIED BROWN RED.  LIGHT ORANGE-GOLD REPLACES THE RED OR BROWN AREAS, AND THE LACING IN FEMALES IS EXTENDED TO THE ENTIRE BODY, THEN ADD AS MUCH SHAFTING AS POSSIBLE.   DO YOU MEAN BLACK COPPER AS IN MARANS?   I DON\'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT IT, BUT IMAGINE IT IS SIMILAR TO BROWN RED.  IS THERE A STANDARD SOMEWHERE TO READ UP ON IT?  I know these are all the same gold based birchen pattern, but what is the difference genetically?   I DOUBT THERE ARE ANY MAIN COLOR GENETICS DIFFERENCES.   THE DIFFERENCES WOULD BE IN UNKNOWN MODIFYING GENES.
What color should the hackle and saddle feathers be in a Brown Red?   YOU NEED A WRITTEN STANDARD IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT BREEDING.   THE BLACK AND WHITE EDITION IS AVAILABLE FROM THE A.P.A. FOR ABOUT $12 OR SO.  
Which is worse (from a breeding standpoint)- too much lacing on the breast, or too little lacing?  FOR BROWN RED YOU CAN WORK WITH EITHER, IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU ARE MATING THESE BIRDS TO.   USE COMPENSATION MATING METHODS TO OFFSET THE EXTREMES.   I PERSONALLY PREFER UNDERMARKED ONES AS LONG AS THEY HAVE PROPER COLOR IN THE HACKLE.  How hard is it to get riding of light feather shafts?  VERY DIFFICULT.   TRY TO MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT SHOW UP ON BOTH SIDES OF THE MATING.   THIS IS A PROJECT SOMEONE NEEDS TO TAKE UP IN THE SILVER VARIETY.    IT CAN BE DONE.   I DON\'T HAVE ROOM FOR IT, BUT IF I DID I WOULD START BY FINDING A WELL MARKED DORKING FEMALE AND MATING THE LARGEST AND BEST MARKED SILVER AMERAUCANA MALE I COULD FIND WITH IT.
BUT NOW I\'M OFF ON A TANGENT SO WILL STOP HERE.

Amelia in Ky

John

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 07:29:55 PM »
I agree that having an APA Standard of Perfection is really needed.  The Standard describes what you want the birds to look like, but doesn\'t get into the genetics.  
They make great Christmas gifts.