Author Topic: Partridge Ameraucana  (Read 32747 times)

Beth C

Partridge Ameraucana
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 10:08:42 AM »
2 out of 100

If it makes you feel any better that\'s about the same ratio of \'keepers\' I\'m getting in my w/bw/sw.  ;) Hang in there, this is a great project and it sounds like you are making progress!

Christie Rhae

Re: Partridge Ameraucana
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 02:48:11 AM »
Someone on BYC has an easter egger that really looks partridge to me.  What do you think about that bird? It even looks like it has slate legs and a nice beard and muff.  I wonder who bred these birds?  It doesn't sound like the poster got the birds from a hatchery.  Doesn't it look like someone was working on partridge?
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/273489/the-ee-braggers-thread/6410

OldChurchEggery

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 02:00:26 PM »
I saw that picture on BYC and thought it was such a nice looking EE. I'm playing around with some things in my EE pen to see what comes out and to learn more about how the genetics work. I feel like there's lower stakes with that, somehow. I've admired the Partridge Plymouth Rocks at the Fair and would be tempted if the males didn't look drab by comparison. I guess it's nice to have one variety where the female plumage is flashy!

grisaboy

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2012, 10:32:42 AM »
  Doesn't it look like someone was working on partridge?

A lot of breeds / varieties have been crossed into Easter Eggers. Since they are not a standard breed, there are no 'rules' on what can be crossed in. In my opinion, this makes them a great genetic reservoir for breeders who are trying to develop new varieties.  You might have to sift through a lot of junk to find the traits you are looking for, but most already have breards, peacombs and blue or green eggs.
Curtis

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2012, 10:49:01 AM »
But then you have alot of genetic "garbage" to weed out.  There could be all kinds of recessive stuff that could pop out in a project a year or two down the line using an ee.  I would prefer to know what possibilities exist before I start a project.
Jean

Christie Rhae

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2012, 02:57:39 PM »
But then you have alot of genetic "garbage" to weed out.  There could be all kinds of recessive stuff that could pop out in a project a year or two down the line using an ee.  I would prefer to know what possibilities exist before I start a project.
That is definitely something to think about.  It is good to be able to get an idea of what your genetic odds are.
But then it might be kinda fun just to see what you get?  lol... 

I have this easter egger that I think must have some sort of pattern genes..  I wondered about test breeding her just for my own education to see what is in her.  But I don't know enough to figure out what I would test breed her with...or what the results would even mean.   ;D

grisaboy

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2012, 01:57:13 AM »

These kind of projects are definitely not for those looking for instant gratification.  Sometimes those recessive genes that pop out are gold nuggets and not always garbage.

Curtis

angora831

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2012, 07:48:04 PM »
I guess I should say more power to ya if you have a bird to work with that has some of the traits that we are looking for in a partridge.  I know that out of 200+ chicks in my F2 cross only 1 or 2 have the making for the partridge markings without yellow legs.  A few others I will keep around to see how they fill out, the others will be sold at a local poultry auction.  Amen to what Curtis said.  There is no instant gratification in this project, but there is hope that sooner or later the right birds will hatch and we will be on our way.  I just hope it happens sooner than later because the wife can be patient only so long with my birds all over the place.

Zach_Rose

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2012, 02:01:20 PM »
http://www.thepoultrygarden.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=11011

Scroll down to the adult pictures. This breed is similar in body to the Ameraucana with white eggs and a beard. Legs look dark slate or black, and have a rose comb. They have been recently imported by Greenfire Farms and they put pictures of their male on Facebook. He is beautiful, they don't have them available yet but something to look forward to.

Beth C

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2012, 10:29:13 AM »
Very interesting! Would love to learn more about these birds.

As an aside, I noticed where you live - do you happen to know Gretta & Tony Bruno?

Zach_Rose

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2012, 12:05:49 AM »
I'm afraid not. Do they show?

Beth C

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 09:14:33 AM »
No, she just has some layers. He sells dairy equipment/supplies.

angora831

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2012, 02:04:36 PM »
We are into our 5th day of 100 degree + temps with at least two more ahead and it is taking a toll  on the birds.  I lost 7 birds in one day and they were all adult Partridge Rocks.  6 adult hens and Bubba the rooster just couldn't handle the heat.  Even with fans and misters.  I guess, fortunately, I have some chicks out of them and crosses with Ameraucans from this late spring that are growing fine and appear to be taking the heat a little better.  Just need to grow the chicks up and see what we have to offer.  The chicks from the earlier crosses of the F1s have the Partridge pattern, all shades of mahogany/brown,  but there is only one that has darker legs.  The later chicks from crosses of the F1 back to original stock still appear to have the pattern, but there may be a few more that will have the right leg color.  Beards and muffs appear to be there, to what degree we will have to see.

Be cool!
Ken

Beth C

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2012, 05:30:43 PM »
So sorry to hear that, Ken. I'm headed out now to do some rearranging to take advantage of a shaded barn. This weather is so tough on birds.

angora831

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2012, 04:59:01 PM »
No, Dorothy, I don't think we are in Kansas anymore.  I think Texas moved north and brought its weather with it!  Just looked at the weather channel and we are going to have another week of 100+ weather.  This is like August weather for us.  Spring came early, which brought in Summer early, so maybe we will have snow in September!  Could happen you know???????????????

Kwn