Author Topic: Lavender breeding  (Read 38110 times)

Lavender breeding
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2010, 01:36:08 PM »
Thank you everyone for the replies...this helps me to understand and know what to look for and breed accordingly.

I agree Mike, it\'s the journey...I know how it ends (begins) just trying to figure out the \"in between\"...LOL

:)
April

verycherry

Lavender breeding
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2010, 09:42:59 AM »
April, did you pick up the Lavender babies this weekend as planned?  You\'ll have to take some pictures.

Lavender breeding
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2010, 01:29:28 PM »
Yes, I got them...they\'re gorgeous. !!! I\'ll try to get pics up...
:)

verycherry

Lavender breeding
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2010, 11:57:21 AM »
Quote from: Jean
April,

I would recommend to all breeders who are new to lavenders to cross them with a black or a black split.  (Just make sure to toe punch as many out there have crossed these birds and have no idea now who is carrying the lavender gene.)

They are going to still need improvement for quite some time and crossing them to a good feathered, appropriately sized black will produce quick results.

This will go a long way to prevent any feather quality issues and will improve egg color should you have a line with that issue.

Jean, I took your quote from Aprils thread so I didn\'t hijack it.  

I\'m glad you brought this up.  I\'ve hatched around a dozen and a half Lavenders, and at least 2 dozen or more splits.  Not a lot, but enough to pick out a few nice birds for myself and a few extras to sell or give away.  Well, I\'ve had several people contact me over the past month or so about buying chicks, but no one wants the black splits, even though I\'ve explained why they\'re useful.  And all my black chicks carry Lavender, no question, as the Dad of all was Lavender.

I decided I had 2 or 3 extra trios that I\'d like to sell, each made up of 1 Lavender cockerels with 2 black split pullets.  I had one trio spoken for, and then a couple of weeks later I got an email saying they really didn\'t have room for another rooster and wanted Lavender pullets only and how many did I have.  I told them to contact you or John, lol!

jeeperspeepers-r4us

Lavender breeding
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2010, 03:40:50 PM »
I hope I\'m not hijacking this post, but I have some question?
I\'m not knowledgeable about genetics, but hoping to at least get an understanding of it for now.

My Lavender LF that I got from Harry Shaffer,
Do I need to see what they will produce breeding Lavender to Lavender. Or do I need to start with a Black Rooster to improve the size and egg color.

If I get a Black Rooster, how will I know if it will improve the Lavender. I\'m looking at a Black from Paul Smith\'s line.

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Lavender breeding
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2010, 07:25:19 PM »
Jeepers,
   Yes you should get a good black.  It will improve feather quality and bring the bird even closer to the standards.  As far as size my birds are large to start with but egg color would also be improved.  I am still breeding blacks to Lavenders myself for my own stock improvement.  I do have a few lavender hens that lay a nice blue egg but the blacks usually have better egg color.  
Harry Shaffer

jeeperspeepers-r4us

Lavender breeding
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2010, 12:18:19 PM »
Harry
The 2 rooster that I got from you last fall have good lavender color, 1 was a bit larger than the other. I have sold the larger of the 2 and still have the other rooster. My intention is to sell him also. The chicks that I hatched out are showing good lavender color, 1 had no beard or muffs and I have culled it already. I\'m hoping to arrange to get a Black rooster from Nita sometime this summer.

verycherry

Lavender breeding
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2010, 05:16:37 PM »
For anyone near Southern Arkansas I\'ll have several Black/Lavender split cockerels available later on.  I just want to wait a little while longer to be positive they\'re males, and so I can pick out the best one or two to keep.  So far, they look like they\'ll all have good beards and muffs, and most are very friendly.

Lavender breeding
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2010, 10:31:40 PM »
I recently got some bantem lavenders and i have no clue what to do! can anyone give me a recap on how the people made this colour? how do you breed it?....just do a lavender to a lavender or what? What colours do i want to look for? I so confused!!!

Mike Gilbert

Lavender breeding
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2010, 08:12:50 AM »
Just breed lavender to lavender, and try for the most even coloring possible.   Avoid brassiness (yellowish tint), any off color in the male hackles, and tiny flecks of white or black.
Just one nice even shade - and that is the challenge.  John Blehm can give you a rundown of how they were made, as I believe he is primarily responsible for creating them.  If I am wrong somebody please correct me, as I don\'t raise lavenders.

John

Lavender breeding
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2010, 09:36:03 AM »
recap on how the people made this colour?

The color has been around and an accepted variety (\"self blue\" aka lavender) in some bantam breeds.  We used d\'Anver and Old English bantams to bring the color over to the Ameraucana breed.  
If you do a search on this forum for the word \"lavender\" you\'ll find lots of information.  

Lavender breeding
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2010, 09:49:14 AM »
Ok thanks..... This make alot more scence now!!! :D

verycherry

Lavender breeding
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2010, 01:58:26 AM »
Those darn broody hens of mine finally started laying again 5 or 6 weeks ago, and I just hatched out around 30 new babies.  Now two of the 6 are already broody again, lol!

Lavenders, Black/Lavender splits, and a few Wheaten Marans.

Lavender breeding
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2010, 11:34:47 AM »
Quote from: verycherry
Those darn broody hens of mine finally started laying again 5 or 6 weeks ago, and I just hatched out around 30 new babies.  Now two of the 6 are already broody again, lol!

Lavenders, Black/Lavender splits, and a few Wheaten Marans.

Oh oh.....Just seeing those babies is giving me the hatching bug again!! I haven\'t hatched any out since May and I\'m starting to get withdrawls big time.

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Lavender breeding
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2010, 05:55:56 PM »
Melissa,
   My regular email is not working properly at this time and hope you visit this site.  
   My Lavender Ameraucanas do have some bantam in their background so the small chicks may be not up to the standards for size.
   My lavenders LF Ameraucanas may have silver or gold in their background.  Most of the blacks have gold background but I have had some that had silvers in their background several years ago when I crossed silvers with blacks.  
   Perhaps someone on here can tell you if their is any visual difference in full grown birds possibly on here which ones are silvers and which ones are gold background.  If you need ones with definate silver background for a project I\'d suggest a Coronation Sussex be used.  
Harry Shaffer