Author Topic: Lavender breeding  (Read 37868 times)

Lavender breeding
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 07:18:08 PM »
Those are simply gorgeous !!! I knew I\'d like them.
April

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Lavender breeding
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 07:32:40 PM »
John,
   Yours are looking very nice.  Hoping to put some pictures on but I need a program for my camera.  
Harry Shaffer

verycherry

Lavender breeding
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 10:11:03 AM »
Very nice John.  All your hard work is showing.  I feel very lucky to have some of your stock.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Lavender breeding
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 09:23:11 AM »
I wanted to bring this thread back up since I am having some questions about breeding lavender.

I spoke to a gentleman last night about our lavender project and the eye color....

I was informed that it is going to be extremely difficult to get reddish bay eyes on these birds because of the lavender gene being a color diluter.

Does anyone actually have birds with the correct eye color at this point or are the a light yellowish red????

Jean

verycherry

Lavender breeding
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 10:19:27 AM »
Would the Lavender gene also affect the eye color on the B/L splits? ....or only on a visually Lavender bird?

John

Lavender breeding
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 07:53:37 PM »
Lavender gene also affect the eye color

I\'d never heard that lavender dilutes anything other than black and red feathers.  I doubt it dilutes eye color and the shanks on my lavenders are dark slate.  I believe the eye color on the lavenders is often better than the blacks.
Dr. Okimoto \"expects\" lavender dilutes eye color, but also says \"eye color is pretty much a genetic mystery for chickens\".
 http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations2.html#gen_mut_eye

Mike Gilbert

Lavender breeding
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 10:22:45 PM »
John, I have seen your lavender bantams, and the eye color looked fine to me.   That was one of the first things I looked for.

verycherry

Lavender breeding
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 11:34:55 AM »
I just hatched out 2 Black/Lavender split chicks, and am surprized at the size and weight of the chicks.  Sure was hoping for Lavenders, but I\'m VERY HAPPY with these babies.  They\'re as large as some of the Cuckoo Marans chicks.

Only one of the four eggs didn\'t develop.  

The last egg came from the group of 5 females that hadn\'t been with the Lav male but two weeks, and that chick hatched out solid white!  Obviously my white roo breed my female (no surprise, I didn\'t try to prevent it) and the sperm was still viable.  

John, am I correct to assume you have no recessive white in this line, so my white rooster and the new white chick would have to be dominate white?

John

Lavender breeding
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 02:15:13 PM »
no recessive white in this line

A lady, here in Michigan, bought some bantam lavenders from me two or three years ago and said she hatched two white chicks from them...besides the lavender chicks.  The large fowl were bred up from the bantams using LF blacks, so I guess there could be some recessive white.  The weird part is that of the many hundreds of lavenders I\'ve hatched I haven\'t had any white sports.  Recessive genes can hide for years and decades.  Test mating each breeder is the only way to eliminate them, but who has the time?

verycherry

Lavender breeding
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 02:54:09 PM »
Definately no extra time here, but I was wanting more whites too, so either way I win!

I can put my white male with the EE hens and see if I come up with any white chicks.

I have 22 Lavender X Black/Lavender split eggs in the incubator due on the 17th, and there\'s no possible way they were sired by anyone but the smaller of the two Lavender boys, so hopefully I\'ll have some nice Lavender chicks soon.  That cockerel is filling out so nicely.  

Lavender breeding
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2010, 06:34:56 PM »
Sherry, I\'m so excited about the chicks I\'ll be getting from your eggs James is hatching....just not excited about the testing part though. I\'m so anxious.....:) Thank you so much.
April

verycherry

Lavender breeding
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2010, 03:18:43 AM »
Hey, why so anxious?  Are you nervous about testing them yourself, ....or is James going to test them for you?  Will NPIP even let you do it yourself?  If so, you could practice on some of your bigger birds first.  I\'m just happy you figured out a way that you could get some chicks from me.  My incubator is just to small to hatch for others.  I do hope to get NPIP certified later this year though.  It will have to be after school lets out though, because I can\'t miss an opportunity to sub right now.

I need to get your email by the way.

John

Lavender breeding
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 09:09:58 AM »
I need to get your email by the way.

FYI, you can email any poster by clicking on the EMAIL button in the top left area of thier post.  

Lavender breeding
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2010, 09:38:15 AM »
thanks John....rushing through things instead of slowing down.
:)
April

John

Lavender breeding
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2010, 07:23:22 PM »
that chick hatched out solid white!

All the chicks from my lavenders have had lavender down when they hatched.  Today as I was looking over the started chicks I noticed white feathers on a couple chicks.  Since all my chicks are together in the brooder I can\'t say for sure, but assume they are from the lavenders.  Their down looks more gray than lavender.  The feather\'s on one are coming in all white (1st photo), while the other is growing white feathers with lavender at the tips of the feathers (2nd photo).  The 3rd photo is a chick with lavender feathers for comparison.
What a surprise.