Author Topic: Molting !!!!!!!!!!  (Read 3309 times)

Molting !!!!!!!!!!
« on: October 31, 2009, 08:12:14 AM »
I have a quad that I purchased that originally came from Mike Gilbert. They are the Brown/Red Variety. The 3 hens are molting and have been for at least 6 - 8 weeks !!! I am feeding them Purina Flock Raiser with Black Rooster feed mixed in ( 1 quart jar B/R Feed + 3 quart jars of Flock Raiser)for the variety of grains and protein intake. They also have grit and oyster shell free-choice available. The feathers seem to be slowing down a bit but still NO EGGS !!!! I\'ve put a light on a timer out there to come on at 5a and shut off at 8a. I want them to be as normal as possible but I didn\'t think molting would last this long.....Any advise?

Also, thank you Mike for all your help with the birds in determining which cock it was and the hen.  I do believe he is an \'07 due to the size of the spur. I was the person that bought the birds from the gentleman in Missouri. And yes, I have decided to breed them and see what I can do. I really enjoy them, they are so gentle and friendly. Which is a good thing because of the size of the spur on the cock. YIKES !

Mike Gilbert

Molting !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 11:33:53 AM »
If you really want to hasten the molt, give them a bath.  Towel dry and let them finish drying off in an area that is not drafty or too cold.  I use my garage (in a cage of course)
.   After the bath, give them an all purpose wormer, such as ivomec, to make sure that internal parasites are not part of the problem.  I actually use a pet shampoo that is supposed to kill pretty much all the potential external parasites, such as lice.  Give it a try, I think you will find that it will help.   It is normal for exhibition type birds to stop laying during the molt, especially as the days get shorter and the weather colder.   It\'s nature.  

Coyote

Molting !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 12:37:05 PM »
Mike-perhaps you could tell her how to gently remove spurs. If she lives anywhere near us we would be glad to show her how or maybe if she comes to Iowa City. Or some other ABC person who lives near her could help. I know her hens would appreciate it.

Mike Gilbert

Molting !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 01:04:15 PM »
Actually, I seldom remove spurs, as I prefer to just cut off the tips so they are blunt.   But they can be easily removed by grasping them with a plier and gently twisting them back and forth until they come loose.   The core remains, and will look grisly for a while until they harden up somewhat.  Good to hear from you Al.   Are you coming to Columbus?

Molting !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 06:26:52 PM »
I have taken them through the worming stage. Mostly to put everyone on a schedule. Wazine first then two weeks later I used pour on ivermectin.

I did not even think about the spurs !!! Thank you so much. I\'m in Arkansas though. What is the best way to do this? I\'m kinda squimish but it needs done. If someone could give me detail instructions I\'m pretty good at following.

Again, thank you so much....April

Mike Gilbert

Molting !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 02:38:01 PM »
April,
Sorry I was not clear.   It would help if you had someone hold the rooster while you did the spurs.  Just grip a spur with a plier.  Rotate it gently back and forth until it comes loose, then slip it off the core.   Nothing to it.  Apply just enough pressure to loosen the spur.  Then do the other one.

bantamhill

Molting !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 09:09:56 AM »
April:

I was squimish the first time I used a pliers to twist the spurs out, but it really works and is very easy. You will be amazed how fast the grow back!

Michael

Molting !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 05:50:50 PM »
Thank you so much for the help !!!

John

Molting !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 05:54:25 PM »
I just removed the spurs from a 2 1/2 year old bantam cock.  They were about 2\" long and come off easily by just twisting them back and forth a bit with my fingers.

cedarpondfarm

Molting !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 02:04:57 PM »
does the core remain or does it fall off after it dries up?    

verycherry

Molting !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 01:33:22 PM »
Quote from: cedarpondfarm
does the core remain or does it fall off after it dries up?    

The core remains and will harden up.

verycherry

Molting !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 01:38:32 PM »
April, I\'m in Arkansas too.  I see you\'re in the NW, but if you ever get down South, near Hot Springs, Arkadelphia, Camden, you\'ll have to let me know so you can stop in and say hi.

Molting !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 10:17:19 PM »
hi there... I\'ve seen you\'re name on another group I visit. Arkansas Backyard Poultry.
I try to keep up with only a couple or so groups now that I have my grandson...:)
April

verycherry

Molting !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 09:54:44 AM »
Oh, you\'re the one from Harrison.  Hope to see you at the next meetup then, January 16.  If you have to bring your Grandson, don\'t worry about it, I\'ll have my 3 daughters there.  My youngest is 6, but the other two are older, 11 and 17 and are good with kids, so they can help with him while we talk business and birds.

Glad you joined us here too!  I haven\'t met many people from Arkansas with true Ameraucanas.