Author Topic: 1 Splash and 1 Blue (?) Ameraucana Cockerel- advantage to keep?  (Read 3203 times)

1 Splash and 1 Blue (?) Ameraucana Cockerel- advantage to keep?
« on: November 22, 2009, 07:39:03 AM »
There\'s a good possibility I may be getting a Splash and a Blue Ameraucana cockerel from a friend. I\'m getting his Black cockerel and 4 black pullets also. I\'ve been keeping all the varieties separate but didn\'t know what to do about the Splash and Blue cockerels. Any suggestions?

My friend is moving to Florida and he wants to give his birds to me until he gets setup again down there and then he\'ll get a flock from me. He\'s also giving me his Coronation Sussex and Wheaton Penedesencas.
Thanks
April

verycherry

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 11:09:45 AM »
There are a lot of varieties you don\'t want to cross, but Black, Blue and Splash are different.  Do you already know about the Blue gene?...the Andalusian gene?

Unless you want to breed only black, the Splash or Blue boys crossed with your Black hens would give you these different colors, so a lot of people keep these penned together.

black x black = all black offspring

black x blue = 50% black, 50% blue

black x splash = 100% blue

blue x blue = 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash

blue x splash = 50% blue, 50% splash

splash x splash = 100% splash

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 08:05:40 PM »
I know a little about the \"blue gene\". Enough to make me dangerous. LOL.

I\'m keeping all the other breeds/varieties separate but didn\'t know about the blacks.

Thanks....
April