Author Topic: Black Golds...  (Read 10349 times)

Black Golds...
« on: October 24, 2005, 11:45:39 AM »
Good morning everyone.

I\'m making plans to work on the Black Gold large fowl variety, while at the same time making the Silver counterpart of the Brown Reds this coming year. Due to the mixed genetics of the cross I\'m planning so I can make the Birchens, I\'ll also be able to work toward making the Black Breasted Red variety by using the male offspring.

I could certainly use a jump start though, so if anyone has any offspring from a cross of Silvers and Brown Reds that they could sell, it would shave a year off of the breeding required. I would need offspring of both sexes from a silver (duckwing) Ameraucana male over brown red Ameraucana females. 2-4 males and 6-12 females would be ideal, from more than one source preferably.

If these cross birds can be located, I would expect to have F2 generation birds on the ground and available for other members to work with if they\'re interested. I\'m looking at this as a club project, not just a personal one.

John, do you have a list of folks who are working on the large fowl Black Gold variety aside from me and yourself? Do we have the minimum required by the APA acceptance comittee yet?

Regards,
Dan Demarest
Missouri

John

Black Golds...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 12:08:24 PM »
Michael Muenks is working on them too.  I believe Lyne Peterson, Lyne@bryngyld.com, of California may be also.

Mike Gilbert

Black Golds...
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 09:40:35 PM »
Dan,
I would love to be able to help out with birds, but I am now sold out for the year, right down to my essential breeding stock.   I think there is one extra bantam wheaten cockerel out there, but that would be it.   Try Michael Muenks at:  Bantamhill@socket.net .  

Mike G.

Black Golds...
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 10:59:48 PM »
Thanks Mike.
I\'m not expecting miracles this time of year, I know I\'m late catching the boat. Lucky for me I\'m not in a huge hurry, I can wait until birds become available in spring/summer. I still have a poultry barn to put in anyway, so the longer I can hold off the better at this point. I\'m not set up to over winter too many more birds at this point.

Dan Demarest
Missouri

John

Black Golds...
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 08:21:49 PM »
Here is a pic of a F1 buff/brown red cross.  It was made to develop black gold LF.  Next Spring I\'ll cross an \"overlaced\" brown red cockerel over her.  There is plenty of work ahead of us on this one.  

Mike Gilbert

Black Golds...
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 09:40:00 PM »
John, if this pullet is 100% large fowl, the 1/2 bantam brown red cockerel you had at Sedalia would be an excellent choice to use with her.

Mike

John

Black Golds...
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 08:28:27 AM »
I have another brother to the two I brought to Sedalia that has lacing over his entire breast.  I plan to use him over her.

Mike Gilbert

Black Golds...
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 08:21:46 PM »
Hey, that\'s even better.    You should be able to make fairly rapid progress.    I\'m really happy that several of you are working on this project and we can apply for standard admission for the large fowl at the same time as for the bantam black golds.

Mike

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
Black Golds...
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 08:35:07 PM »
Greetings.  I am indeed working on the black gold LF.  I only have one brown red hen that I crossed with my blue rooster, having lost my buff rooster to the neighbor\'s small dog.  I\'m working on the blue gold at the same time, so this first year is OK without the buff, but I\'m needing a buff now for the next cross.  Any buffs or F1 crosses that can be sent my way?  I will be crossing my F1 blue gold with by black gold bantams if the cockerels are not quite as large as their BIG blue dad from the Crees.  He\'ll be handy when I want good size later, but he\'s inconvenient for bantams right now.

Lyne Peterson
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

Black Golds...
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 09:25:57 PM »
First I know this is an old thread...just looking for a lil input.

These weren\'t from hatchery stock EE\'s. That being said.
I have accidentally created something like a Black Gold, is this anywhere close? These are the only two and they are hatched from the same hatch. I hatched these from my own eggs. The mother was a Pure Blue Ameraucana...which throws me totally off. And no, there is no way any other rooster was with them  :stare: hmmm I am hoping to just use what I have to make more...but what? I sold the Rooster they came from  :(

I had to edit the photo so much that the colors aren\'t really showing up well

Mike Gilbert

Black Golds...
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 06:22:30 PM »
The second bird is closer than the first, but neither is really black gold.   This is really a difficult color pattern.  I\'m still trying to figure it out after working on it more years than I care to count.   Chances are pretty good it will be like blue in that it may never breed really true 100%.  

John

Black Golds...
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 08:42:55 PM »
Cindy,
They appear to have salmon breast color and would guess they are birchen/wildtype split from what I can see.  You don\'t say what the cock was, but I would guess he was a silver.  If he was blue like the hen then they would be birchen/birchen, but pooring marked for brown reds.

Mike Gilbert

Black Golds...
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 09:03:32 PM »
Since silver is on the sex link chromosome, I don\'t think the pullets could have been out of a silver male.  They would be white and black instead of brown/gold and black.

John

Black Golds...
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 09:10:32 PM »
Oh, yes...I forgot about the silver/gold and spoke too soon.
They appeared to have salmon breasts, but it must just be red that I see (unless the daddy was gold).

grisaboy

Black Golds...
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 09:36:31 AM »
My guess is that the blue parents are E^R e+. (and gold)
These first bird looks like it could be e+e+ with extra melanizers (like a brassy back Old English).  The second bird looks to be E^R e+ without all of the melanizers to make it solid black.

Curtis