Author Topic: Ameraucana breeding question  (Read 3645 times)

Ameraucana breeding question
« on: December 28, 2009, 01:33:02 PM »
I read this forum EVERYDAY! This is my first post.
I have a Lavender ameraucana rooster from John Blehm and am wondering what i would get if he was breed to a Splash ameraucana hen.  At the moment i have him with a black hen and plan to breed the female\'s back to him. Tried the chicken calculator but cant get the combo to work.
  Thank you to all the club members that keep this website/forum/club working. Happy New Year!
Rob in California

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 01:57:10 PM »
Assuming the lavender is based on black (E or E>R) the first generation would be blue.   One copy of Bl (from the splash) will make for blue plumage.   Lav is recessive so needs two copies to express itself.   You could use the blue females with your lavender male to produce more lavenders.  You would also get some blues and some blacks in both genders.

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 02:22:09 PM »
Interesting.  In the seond generation, would you get a very light lavender/blue?  Would it be wise to exclude the split lavender blues for your blue and splash program?
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 05:09:17 PM »
Quote from: bryngyld
Interesting.  In the seond generation, would you get a very light lavender/blue?  Would it be wise to exclude the split lavender blues for your blue and splash program?

Having never bred lavender I don\'t know if the two genes have a cumulative effect or not.  But I doubt it.   If it were me I would use the split lavender blues in the attempt to learn something new.

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 07:26:40 PM »
You talked me into it.  I\'ll toss a couple of splashes in with my lavenders and blacks.  
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 12:44:41 PM »
Thank you to everyone for your input. I will put the splash in with the lavender rooster and hatch some of those eggs. Keep you posted. Rob in California

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 12:54:57 PM »
Hey, Rob.  I\'m in California, near Sacramento.  Maybe we can collaborate!  

I\'ve got bantam Lavenders from John\'s source and a very few LF hens from Harry.  I put the LF hens in with the bantams.  My LF splashes are from Crees.  
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 05:34:47 PM »
Hi Lyne
I live in So California but go up to the bay area all the time. This month i have been up north twice. Redwood city, San Francisco area. Send me an email Lets get these lavender\'s going in California. We could possibly set up a date to breed my LF lavender roo to your LF lavender hen. I am planning to attend the Stockton Poultry show on 1-31-10 weekend.  Not sure if that works for you but let me know what you think.
Rob in California

rstgltljtpct@charter.net