Author Topic: LF Buff Genetic Heritage  (Read 3747 times)

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
LF Buff Genetic Heritage
« on: January 28, 2010, 12:24:20 PM »
I was wondering if one of the developers of the LF Buff could tell me which breeds were used to develop them.

I\'m pretty sure I see orpington there...... but what else was used?

I am trying to do some calculations for an outcross and the calculator keeps giving me a buff columbian bird.  How is the black in the tail restricted in our birds?  White?

Any info would be appreciated.  Remember I am a dabbler at genetics so you\'ll have to \"S P E L L\" it out for me. :)

Thanks!!!
Jean

John

LF Buff Genetic Heritage
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 02:23:39 PM »

Blue Egg Acres

LF Buff Genetic Heritage
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 06:12:53 PM »
where does one find this calculator?

John

LF Buff Genetic Heritage
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 06:43:59 PM »
where does one find this calculator?
http://home.kpn.nl/h.meijers69/kruising.html

John

LF Buff Genetic Heritage
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 07:09:50 PM »
Jean,
Check out this site for some ideas:
http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations1.html
Buff eWh Co Mh Di  -may also be other E locus alleles, plus Db, Cb.  

Mike Gilbert

LF Buff Genetic Heritage
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 12:45:23 PM »
Quote from: Jean
I am trying to do some calculations for an outcross and the calculator keeps giving me a buff columbian bird.  How is the black in the tail restricted in our birds?  White?
Thanks!!!

Careful selection over time.   Be satisfied with incremental progress, as I doubt seriously the genetics have been identified.    Don\'t throw out an otherwise good bird for a little black or white in the tail.   White or mealiness in the wings and body are another matter, as it only seems to get worse instead of better.   Watch the feather shafts in those areas to make sure they are buff all the way to the skin.    The best color outcross to buff is blue wheaten in my opinion.  The BL gene will give the buff a softer shade if it needs it.

philipu

LF Buff Genetic Heritage
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 01:34:58 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
Quote from: Jean
Thanks!!!

Careful selection over time.   Be satisfied with incremental progress, as I doubt seriously the genetics have been identified.    Don\'t throw out an otherwise good bird for a little black or white in the tail.   White or mealiness in the wings and body are another matter, as it only seems to get worse instead of better.   Watch the feather shafts in those areas to make sure they are buff all the way to the skin.    The best color outcross to buff is blue wheaten in my opinion.  The BL gene will give the buff a softer shade if it needs it.

This is helpful to me....I have a few of each...I have noticed that on a pair of buff I got last fall, that the males tail feathers are narrow compared to my wheaten....can this be helped by
the same procedure of the buff and blue wheaten cross?
Thanks, phil