Author Topic: Bantam breeding pens  (Read 3291 times)

John

Bantam breeding pens
« on: February 20, 2010, 09:19:45 AM »
I\'ve got 8 welded wire breeding pens that I\'ve used for bantams.  They work great for pairs and up to about 7 hens and a cock.  The droppings fall (drop) to the floor for easy cleanup.  I\'m going to cut back and have these for sale.  6 of them are all the same, about 20\" deep (inside) by 3\' long and 14 to 16\" high.  The other two are similar, with one being a few inches higher.  The bottoms are angled so the eggs roll out to the front.  They each have a 7\" feeder, two water cups and a cup for grit.  The units mount to a wall by putting boards inside the pens and screwing them to the wall.  I\'m asking $25 each COD at my place in Birch Run, Michigan.  I\'m offing them here first and if they don\'t sell I\'ll take them to our MBGBA swap meet in April.  

Bantam breeding pens
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 11:03:22 PM »
That\'s a nice setup...good luck. Take it easy and hope you get to feeling better.
:)
April

cedarpondfarm

Bantam breeding pens
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 02:29:42 PM »
Does having pens like yours with angled bottoms help prevent broodiness?

John

Bantam breeding pens
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 03:41:11 PM »
help prevent broodiness?

I\'m not sure, but think it may discourage it.  As I recall some still get broody in the pens with wire bottoms.  I believe a wooden roost elevated an inch or two above the wire would also help.
I only use these pens during the breeding season.