Author Topic: Soft shell eggs?  (Read 2533 times)

Soft shell eggs?
« on: March 13, 2010, 11:04:25 AM »
One week ago, my one year old black Ameraucana hen, was injuried by my (now ex) rooster. She had a hurt leg and was unable to walk, get into the nest box or on the roost w/ out help.

For two months, she has laid a bright, perfectly shaped aqua blue egg, usually 5 a week.  But for five days after the injury, I got no eggs and then two days of blue very soft shell eggs--the shell is thick almost like a noodle wrapped around the yolk and white.

I upped their protein to a 20% feed (I felt like they needed it because of the stress they have been under w/ a almost violent roo), while still offering their regular 16% pellets (they went crazy over the new feed), and they are getting organic greens everyday, oyster shell, grit and fresh water are all free choice..

Are the soft shells a \'product\' of the injury?
Will they continue or will she go back to laying her beautiful eggs?

Is their something I can do to help her?

Thank you Deb

Mike Gilbert

Soft shell eggs?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 11:57:28 AM »
You might try adding a tablespoon of natural vinegar for every two gallons of drinking water for awhile.   Sometimes it helps them utilize the calcium and other minerals in their diet.  There are a lot of variables so I hate to generalize, but I have tried it from time to time with some success.    My late grandmother, born in 1903, used to take a combination of vinegar and honey, spoonful a day,  for her various perceived ailments.  She lived until 1996 so I don\'t think it did her any harm.

bantamhill

Soft shell eggs?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 12:07:33 PM »
After she is recovered if the problem persists you might try a product called Calciboost. I have used it with success in the past with both peafowl and Ameraucana.

Michael

Soft shell eggs?
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 12:22:50 PM »
I\'ll try the AC vinegar, since I have it on hand.. She is much better, if you didn\'t know she had had a leg injury you won\'t notice her tiny limp. She is getting up on the roost and into the nest box again. In the mean time, I will try to find Caliboost.   Thanks

Soft shell eggs?
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 05:27:45 PM »
Just thought I would let you know--she is back to laying her beautiful egg.. I did use the vinegar but not sure it was long enough to help but I am going to use it for at least a week --it won\'t hurt anything... Thanks