Author Topic: Protein per centage  (Read 10441 times)

angora831

Protein per centage
« on: April 26, 2010, 01:49:24 PM »
I was wondering if there was someone out there that knew how to figure the protein % in a mixed ration.  I have looked at some of the previous posts that show what others are feeding their birds, especially laying hen mixes, but they don\'t really tell what the final protein % of the ration is.  I know back in college we had a feeds class that taught us how to do this, but alas that was back when we still used slide rulers to do the math and I have not had any need to use the formulas since.
An example that I might throw out there is:

5 LB of commercial layer ration @ 16% protein
2 Lb of whole oats @ 12% protein
1 LB of soybean meal @ 48% protein

When this hypothetical ration is mixed together what will be the final % of protein?  What is the range of protein that we are we looking for in a  ration that we are feeding to breeding hens?

Thanks,
Ken

Mike Gilbert

Protein per centage
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:05:40 PM »
Don\'t need a slide rule for this, it\'s just arithmetic.  

5 lbs X .16 = .80 lbs protein
2 lbs X .12 = .24 lbs protein
1 lb  X .48 = .48 lbs protein

Total protein is 1.52 lbs, divided by total of 8 lbs = 19 %

angora831

Protein per centage
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 06:48:24 PM »
Got to be harder than that!  Thanks.   So what is the % range that we are looking for when feeding breeding hens?

Ken

Mike Gilbert

Protein per centage
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 08:50:39 PM »
Quote from: angora831
Got to be harder than that!  Thanks.   So what is the % range that we are looking for when feeding breeding hens?

Ken

Not to figure crude protein it isn\'t.   But it also takes a good mix of amino acids that make up different kinds of protein,   both vegetable and animal source proteins.
I\'m no feed expert, so  get by just using Purina Gamebird Breeder Layena for birds in total confinement.   Without checking the label, I believe it is 20 percent crude protein.  Those that get outside on grass and eating insects can get by with almost any commercial layer ration IMHO.  

Tailfeathers

Protein per centage
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 12:06:15 AM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
Not to figure crude protein it isn\'t.

That\'s easy for you to say Mike!  I had to read it 3 times to figure out what you said.  It make sense now but now you also know why I ain\'t no rocket scientist!

God Bless,

angora831

Protein per centage
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
  My thoughts in starting this thread was to find a reliable feed, with a higher protein content that I could feed to my breeding hens.  I also wanted to up the protein level a little to help the eggs that I am hatching \"finish\" through to getting a live chick.  I believe that I saw this mentioned in the last ABC newsletter.  
  There are 4 dealers within a 25 mile radius of where I live that sell poultry feed.  Two of them are consistenly out whenever I need to buy feed.  TSC started to sell Purina feeds this past January and are pretty good at staying stocked in all of their various chicken feeds.  They do not stock or have any gamebird feed with a higher protein level in the store.  I have switched to the Purina Layena feed for the hens even thought it may be a little more expensive.  It is something that I can consistenly get and keeps me from switching feeds all of the time.  I have tried to find a cat/dog food with a higher protein to add to the Purina at this time of year, but haven\'t found anything that the birds will eat.  Most of the cat/dog feed ends up on the ground or uneaten in the feeder.  I do have access to all of the soybean meal that I want from a relative that raises beans.  I know that soybean meal contains most of the amino acids needed by poultry, but there are also some that it lacks.  I just figured the Purina feed would cover those.
  With consistency as my goal, I just wanted to have a formula to work with to get my birds what they needed to produce an egg that will follow through to hatching.
  Incubator concerns will be the next area of focus.  I am getting quite a few chicks that start to develop and for some reason quit along the way. Just wanted to see if the feed could help.

Ken

Mike Gilbert

Protein per centage
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 08:55:20 AM »
Ken, I had to request my Purina dealer order the Gamebird feed for me.    It\'s pricey, but the coupons in Poultry Press are good for $5.00 off every second bag.   The problem with Purina regular chicken feed (Sunfresh recipe) is it no longer contains any animal based protein.  The cat food is a good idea.   Try crushing it in smaller pieces first and then mixing it in with your other feed.   Once they get a taste for it they will eat it quite readily.  

Birch Run Farm

Protein per centage
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 03:34:21 PM »
Try to find fish meal.  http://www.fertrell.com/poultry.htm

verycherry

Protein per centage
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 11:21:53 AM »
I was buying Pilgrims Layer Pellets last year because it was higher in protein than some (I believe it was 20%), and had fish meal in it.  I loved it, but switched to Prime Quality 22% this year because it was kept in stock and I didn\'t have to keep reminding the feed store to order it special for me, and because it\'s $11.10 instead of $12.60...or thereabouts.  Prime Quality also makes a standard 18%, so make sure you ask for 22% if you decide to try it.  I\'ve been very happy with it as well, but wish it had the fish meal that was in the Pilgrims.  I\'m planning on asking the store to order some for me once or twice a month anyway, and if they forget I\'ll just buy the 22%.

angora831

Protein per centage
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 02:51:33 PM »
Not the one to open a can or worms but.....  I thought the trend in livestock feed was moving away from products with animal protein because of MadCow and related problems.  From what I see in the responsed to this question animal derived protein sources are still ok for poultry and maybe even other critters???  I do let my birds free range, during the day, and they just tear into what is left from the winter hay feedings getting the fat grubs and bugs underneath.  While this is not \"plant protein\" I really don\'t see it as \"animal\" either.  I guess that I don\'t have an opinion one way or the other, but just want to use something that will not be detrimental to the flock and can be found on a consistent basis.

Thanks for the feedback,
Ken

Birch Run Farm

Protein per centage
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 07:30:31 PM »
I noticed my local Tractor Supply store is carrying pellets for pnd fish that is 32% protein and has pork protein as the main source.  There were actually two brands, one was 37% protein.  I bought a 20 pound bag to use as a suppliment and try it out. The 50 pound bag was $16 in spendy Vermont.  This stuff is MUCH cheaper than fish meal wich runs about $58 here.

John

Protein per centage
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 08:09:33 PM »
the trend in livestock feed was moving away from products with animal protein because of MadCow and related problems.

To the best of my knowledge there is only a problem, like mad cow and scrapie, when meat from the same species is fed to animals.  The disease deteriorates the brain.  Humans can get is too by being cannibals and receiving organ transplants, etc.  Some are more susceptible than others genetically.  Then also if an animal has it and a human or other animal eats the diseased animal I guess they can get it.  We just weren\'t make to devour our own.    

Birch Run Farm

Protein per centage
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 07:46:12 AM »
Quote from: John
the trend in livestock feed was moving away from products with animal protein because of MadCow and related problems.

To the best of my knowledge there is only a problem, like mad cow and scrapie, when meat from the same species is fed to animals.  The disease deteriorates the brain.  Humans can get is too by being cannibals and receiving organ transplants, etc.  Some are more susceptible than others genetically.  Then also if an animal has it and a human or other animal eats the diseased animal I guess they can get it.  We just weren\'t make to devour our own.    

Correct, so we still have a feed problem.  I am also trying Resolution Kibble which is 42% protein made with fish meal.  It is also supposed to help produce dryer droppings.  I\'ll be keeping notes on my feed trials.

In case anyone is interested here is a link.  I saw that my TSC is carrying their forage cakes too.  

http://foragecakes.com/index.html

Protein per centage
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 11:29:37 PM »
I\'ve been a lurker here for a few months. I have a small flock of Wheaten/Blue Wheatens that I think I have a good start on and have learned quite a bit from the collective knowledge here as to what to breed towards.

This discussion on protein % is interesting and timely as I\'ve had my birds on a Game Bird Breeder since laying age. I recently had a hen develop an egg laying problem (shelless eggs and eggs breaking inside her). I think I would have lost her if I had not taking her to the vet for fluids and a feeding tube as she quit eating and drinking for nearly a week. I kept her nourished enough to pull through this bad patch, and she\'s gaining weight and laying normally now.

I\'m not implying the Game Bird Feed was responsible, and I provide Oyster Shell in all my pens, but the incident prompted me to do some investigation into the use of Game Bird Breeder in chickens. I first emailed FRM (the manufacturer) regarding the calcium content (% was not listed) and got this response:

\"We do not recommend the game bird feeds for chickens.  The game bird line of feed is formulated specifically for quail and the calcium requirements are considerably less than poultry.\"

I\'m also blessed to have one of the best Poultry Science Division Universitys in the country near me and have been in contact with their professor of Nutrition and Management and I have his permission to post portions of his response regarding the higher protein feed:

\" In regards to your question about the extra protein you are feeding to your birds by feeding them the Game Bird Breeder  feed. Your mature birds, roosters and hens, do not require the extra protein that is being furnished to them as they consume the GBB feed.  As you probably know the protein is made up of individual building blocks known as amino acids and your birds really have a requirement for certain of these amino acids and not protein per se.  The protein is used to only furnish the amino acids into the bird just as the feed ingredients are the furnishing the protein to the diet.  So, once the requirement for specific amino acids is met the birds liver will have to dismantle the extra amino acids and dispose of the nitrogen from the amino acids as waste.  The waste nitrogen that is being excreted by your birds (and all birds and reptiles) is the white material in their droppings.  Whenever the bird’s liver has to dispose of lots of nitrogen from the extra amino acids being furnished from the extra protein in the GBB feed it has to work overtime and in hot weather, as we are having now and for many months to come, this will be a stress on the birds because of the extra heat that is being produced in the body as the nitrogen is excreted.  The layer feed will furnish the protein level which is closer to your bird’s requirement for protein and in hot weather this will make your birds more comfortable.  Your birds will more than likely do very well and have good condition and performance on the commercial layer feed once you switch to the layer if you decide to do so.\"

My answering email to him was would the Layer give me the good, glossy feather condition my birds currently have, and this was his reply,

\"Yes, you can quote me if you wish as the University poultry nutrition professor near you. If anyone calls you can give them my name and I will be glad to talk with them.  

One further comment about protein and feathers:  I am not surprised that the GBB feed is promoting good feather growth and condition since it is higher in crude protein.  When considering the many factors that are required for feather formation, overall nutritional adequacy of the diet is of utmost importance during feather growth and development.  Feathers consist almost completely of protein (~90%+) and when the bird is synthesizing new feathers a source of high quality protein in the diet becomes very important.  High quality protein contains the amino acids in the proper quantity that will be required for feather synthesis.  This is especially true at the time the bird is molting and after which will grow new feathers.  However, mature feathers are not living tissue like other tissues in the bird’s body.  Feathers are made up of the same type of protein as is found in finger and toe nails, claws, hoofs, horns, hair, beaks, etc. This protein is called keratin and contains a lot of sulfur in special bonds referred to in nutritional chemistry as “di-sulfide” bonds.  So, there are two sulfur containing amino acids that are very important during feather formation. These amino acids are methionine and cystine.   Cystine is the one that is found mostly in feathers and is made from methionine.  So, methionine is really the important one and must be adequate in the diet during feather formation.  Feeding the higher protein feed, which would provide more of these and other amino acids to the bird, would be very beneficial at the time the bird needs them for lots of new feather formation, however after the feathers are mature the extra protein is of no use for feather formation and is a burden on the bird’s liver as has already been discussed.\"

So based on his advice I\'ve been gradually switching over to 100% Layer, and I\'ll possibly add some extra protein during molts. My girls are barely touching their oyster shell now, before they were going through a half cup a week per pen of 5-7 hens. I also grow high vitamin greens (spinach, kale, etc.) which I give in small amounts several times a week, which the Phd is fine with.

Another thought I\'ve had is, if the birds eat amounts to get their required protein, perhaps they are not getting the correct balance of vitamins and minerals?

Anne Foley

Protein per centage
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 08:24:08 AM »
Thank you \"cpartist\" for your post.  I had been meaning to say something cautionary about the use of high protein diets but felt I didn\'t have the credentials as a poultry nutritionist.  I do believe that not all commercial layer feeds are of equally high quality but it is hard to nail down which manufacturers are the best.  I now switch brands of layer crumbles so that I do not feed any one exclusively for too long a period of time.  We have a lot of different feed stores in our area and they carry different brands so I am able to do this easily.  It\'s not exactly \"spreading the risk\" or \"covering all my bases\" but something like that.