Author Topic: Day Old Large Fowl Ameraucana Chicks In Black, Blue and Splash  (Read 7938 times)

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Day Old Large Fowl Ameraucana Chicks In Black, Blue and Splash
« on: February 13, 2010, 01:49:36 PM »
We are offering potential show quality day old large fowl Ameraucana chicks in black, blue and splash again this year.  Most of our birds are bred by families.  A breeding pen consist of hens and/or pullets which are full siblings mated to either a non-related or distant related male.
Each breeding pen is assigned a number from 1 to 15.  If we have more than 15 we use a + to allow for an additional 15 pens.  The pen’s number is written on the eggs when they are collected each day.  The eggs are sorted by this number before being placed into the incubator.
Eighteen days later, when they are placed into the hatching trays each number group is individually partitioned.  The trays also have a lid to contain the chicks.  When the chicks are removed from the trays they are each toe punched according to their assigned number.  The code is
1, 2, 4 and 8.  Starting with the bird’s left outside web being 1, moving left to right, and ending with the right outside web being 8.  The plus system uses the same code with the wholes opened up with a slit.  This allows us to know how all birds that we produce are bred, and our customers to know which birds are siblings.  It requires a lot of extra time and effort, but we feel that it is worth.  If a genetic problem arises it can be traced, but the main benefit is to know how to match the birds in the fall for the next crop.

We feel this identification system has helped us to breed the many champions that we have had the past decade.  We have shown under many different judges from all over the US, and none have made any remarks on the show cards about the wholes or slits in the birds webs.  We have a grand master in black Ameraucanas.  Having bred and raised registered Duroc hogs for over 25 years, I’ve learned how important an identification system is, to keep breeding records.

We are offering day old chicks from seven hatches this year-each at two weeks apart-starting March 1 and ending May 24.  Presently we have orders for 200 but should have about 500 more.  Last year we sent out over 700 and added one more state, making 39  that we have sent our Ameraucanas.  We have a 10 chick minimum so they will stay warm enough during shipping.  They are straight run only, as we are not able to sex them at a day old.  We allow priority mail through shipping zone #4 which includes all of Texas and our adjoining states.  Shipping zone #5 and up are required to be sent by express live mail.  We guarantee live chicks upon arrival or a refund for any that don’t make the trip.  Priority mail is just as good as express through zone #4.  It is about $20 per box less than express, so we need a zip code when requesting chick prices as postage contributes a large part of the price.  Basically chicks are $6 each plus box, shipping and a small fee for the trip to the post office.  

Our e-mail address is:  sw_psmith@swmail.net to order chicks.

Paul &  Angela  Smith

Paul Smith

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 04:17:28 PM »
We finally sent out our first two boxes of chicks for the 2010 season on Tuesday of this week.  The hatching is running behind, due to the foot of snow which fell within 24 hours in early Ferbruary.  The hens delayed their laying and the cocks also prolonged their infertility period.  The past four years we haven\'t put lights on our breeder birds, and the first few hatches have had a very low % to hatch.  Hatchability increase as the day time light and temperature increases.

We are still going to accept a few more chick orders of black, blue or splash for April 26, May 10 and 24 hatches.  The earlier hatches are already heavily booked.
Paul Smith

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 10:02:06 AM »
I have got to get you my order...sorry for the delay...
:)
April

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 09:51:09 AM »
We just completed our fourth hatch of the 2010.  Unfortunately all four have been below the normal amount of chicks to hatch.  There are six pens that haven\'t had an egg to hatch.  All these pens are headed by a cock which has produced good chicks in the past years.  One has been in production since 2005, another one since 2006.  The others are younger.  Some reason, maybe weather related, the cocks delayed their annual molt, causing them to extend their infertility period into the breeding season which caused the eggs to be clear at the end of incubation.  Part of the problem was corrected last Monday, after I saw that the pen\'s eggs still weren\'t fertile.  Two of the cocks were taken out of their breeding pens and replaced with cockerels.  We were able to send out two more boxes, but would like to have sent out five.  We should still have room for a few more orders of black, blue and splash from our last two hatches May 10 and 24.

Question:  Anyone want to share how to make the cocks molt earlier this year, so we won\'t have the fertility problem next spring?
Paul Smith

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 09:58:31 AM »
Paul,
   Molting.  You may want to contact Texas A&M and see if they did any research on that subject.  
Harry Shaffer

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 12:19:04 PM »
Paul, I know this can be hard for exhibition breeders, but I think the best practice is to use vigorous cockerels over only hens that are two years old or older.   It gives the best chance for fertility.  Granted there will be fewer eggs, but you are breeding in longevity and staying power over the long term by using older hens that still produce.

grisaboy

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 08:40:56 PM »
The commercial laying houses have made an art of molting their flocks so they all start laying at the same time.  I believe they induce molting by reducing the amount of light per day and the amount of feed.  I have heard of farms that feed only oats while molting their birds. I have thought before that using some technique like this at just the right amount of time before a major show could be useful to make sure birds are in the best feather condition for the show.

Curtis

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 10:03:12 AM »
Sorry this response is so late!  

Things get on overload this time of year with all the planting and hatching added to an already full schedule.  Special thanks for all the suggestions!  I\'m considering using a combination of several of them.  Since we raise most of our breeding males, two full brothers can be kept for each breeding pen instead of just one, so they may be rotated.  We kept less cockerels this year than ever before, due to selling so many chickens in 2009.

It may take one more year to correct as we we have sent so many out in 2010, leaving us with very few.

I was hoping for some chicks from our #7 pen.  The 2005 black cock which heads it, is the best black male that we have ever had.  He is one on the ABC website when he was a cockerel.  The #10 black pullets with him are the best that we raised in 2009. They are granddaughters of the 2007 National Champion black cockerel at Great Falls, Montana.  They have laid very good blue eggs with good size and shape but none have hatched.  The black cock has produced some of our best the past four years.  The suggestion of retiring breeding cocks like him will be the hardest thing to do.

Thanks again,
Paul & Angela Smith
Paul Smith

Birch Run Farm

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 11:14:58 AM »
Maybe he needs a change in feed?  I am assuming he is eating a general ration put out for the whole pen?  Perhaps you can pull him out daily for a protein feed, cooked eggs, real meat?  How much soy is in your poultry feed?

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 10:12:22 AM »
Monday morning (May 3) we set our last hatch for chicks to ship for 2010.  Our PO will stop accepting lives by the first part of June or the end of May, depending on daytime high temps.  Our first six hatches managed to hatch 335 chicks-an all time low for us.  There will be another hatch on May 10 and May 24, so we should get close to 600 head.

We are fully booked for 2010 and will not be able to accept anymore chick orders for delivery before March 2011, that is if our government continues to allow chicks to be shipped.

A special thanks to everyone who ordered chicks from us.

Paul & Angela Smith
Paul Smith

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »
Yea!  We finished our eight scheduled hatches and managed to fill all day old chick orders for 2010!  We stopped accepting chick orders about a month ago.  It was the right decision, as we had just enough black, blue and splash in the last two hatches to fill all orders.

I was really sweating it last Monday, when I took the last four boxes of chicks to our PO for shipping.  It was forecast to be in the low 90\'s all week!  I feared that they would say \"sorry we have been instructed not to accept anymore lives until this fall,\" but they didn\'t!  We heard from each of their new owners and all the chicks made it just fine!

We have one more incubator, less than half full-so we can attempt to keep our black, blue and splash advancing.  These will all stay here.

Look forward to hatching season each year-but always glad when it is completed, and all the orders are filled!

Special thanks to everyone who ordered their chicks from us.  We hope all turn out well.

Paul & Angela Smith
Paul Smith

Cloverleaf Farm

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 02:54:28 PM »
Congratulations on what started out to be a dicey, though ultimately successful hatching season Paul!!

QUADCH

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 04:19:54 PM »
Mine are growing strong and looking fabulous! Thanks!

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 02:07:29 AM »
Mine are doing awsome, thank you!!! Beautiful babies. :)