Author Topic: New junior member (& her mom!) looking for bantam Ameraucana advice  (Read 2099 times)

Hi all,
I\'ve been lurking on this site ever since my 7-year-old decided she wanted to start showing birds instead of just continuing to compete only in showmanship with her current flock of hatchery bantams.  She picked bantam Ameraucanas, and we ordered chicks from John to get her started this spring.  We have wheaten, blue wheaten, and black, and she has her heart set on showing/breeding wheatens and blue wheatens.  I think black would be a better choice since feather pattern\'s not an issue, but since I already nixed any crested, feather-footed, or white breeds I hate to dictate which variety she shows!  Anyway, we live in Virginia and have seen no bantam Ameraucanas in the shows down here, so I haven\'t been able to find a mentor for her.  I\'m hoping you all will be able to help her out as we get started and will doubtless have some dumb questions.  Once the birds get a bit older I hope I can post some photos so you can offer her some guidance on which birds might be show quality and which are not.  In the meantime, we\'ll keep reading old posts and learning all we can!

Many thanks,
Lynne

Mike Gilbert

New junior member (& her mom!) looking for bantam Ameraucana advice
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 05:59:35 PM »
Lynne, we\'ll be glad to help as much as we are able to.
Pictures are always good when asking advice on a particular issue or bird.   I think your daughter made a good choice.
But I thought John didn\'t have blue wheatens any more???