Author Topic: Hi everyone! Can you help me?  (Read 2864 times)

Hi everyone! Can you help me?
« on: November 15, 2005, 02:43:18 AM »
I\'ve been raising EE\'s for two years now, and have fallen in love with the beards and muffs.  I\'ve hatched out a second generation, mostly for the eggs.  I also have a couple of people who\'ve bought hatching eggs from me, but I long to have the \'real deal\', and learn what the breed standards are for true Ameraucanas.  I realize that I\'m going to have to start a whole new flock to do this, but I\'m kind of attached to my present flock, and would like to wait until it\'s necessary to replace my birds. (I do plan on keeping any stragglers separate.) Could someone point me to some past posting to prevent anyone from repeating themselves to exhaustion dealing with the breed standards for Standards?  Also, are there any handbooks available that I should read?  Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,

Stacey

Suz

Hi everyone! Can you help me?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 11:53:39 AM »
Stacey,

Click on \"Ameraucana Myths and Facts\" at http://groups.msn.com/ABCShareingPlace for a brief description.  If you are looking for more information, the American Standard of Perfection, color version, is available from the A.P.A. http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/ It sells for $48 plus $5 S/H.  It gives a detailed description of the breed standards for everything from beaks, to wing carriage, to leg and feet color and color pictures (paintings) of many of the varieties.  I have gotten my information from this book, as well as the Ameraucana Breeders Club handbooks (current handbook included in A.B.C. membership), and from reading various messages/posts on this forum and the ABC Shareing Place which discuss breed standards and the correct color to work toward.  

I have also learned a lot from looking at photos that others have posted.  On this forum, click on ABC Home Page, then Photos.  There are some member\'s photo albums at ABC ShareingPlace -- click on Pictures.  And, photos of most of the recognized varieties are available on The \"Color\" Pages of ABCShareing Place.

Susie