Author Topic: pest control  (Read 5351 times)

John

pest control
« on: August 10, 2010, 07:28:07 PM »
The spiders in my chicken barn have webs all over and they really standout with the poultry dust on them.  What is the best way to get rid of spiders?  What doesn\'t work?
I\'ll looking into a BIRD-X Transonic Pro electronic pest repeller.  http://www.bird-x.com/transonic-pro-p-29.html
They are about $30 on up and claim to be \"safe for use around humans, children, and pets such as dogs, cats, birds, and reptiles.\"  It \"uses quiet ultrasonic sounds to evict Mice, Bats, Spiders, cockroaches and Crawling Insects. Works well in your Kitchen, Garage, Basement, Workshop, Shed or Attic.\"
Does anyone know how \"quiet\" they are?  From some revues I\'ve read they can be load, but have various settings.

Tailfeathers

pest control
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 09:19:36 PM »
Hi John,

I can\'t help you with info on the pest repeller but wanted to say to be sure and keep us informed on what you find out.  I\'m curious to know if they work.  I think I\'ve seen these advertised on TV (not the same brand but rather product) as supposedly working outside for coyotes, coons, possums, skunks, stray dogs, and such.  My main question is if it works by producing a high-pitched noise or such that is annoying to animals, wouldn\'t that also affect chickens and other critters?

The best thing I\'ve found for spiders is my guineas but even they can\'t keep all the spiders away.  Although I haven\'t found a tick on any of my animals in about 3-years now.  Knocking on wood as I speak!  

I recently resorted to buying one of those handheld blowers/vacuum thingy\'s.  I planned to use it last Saturday but we got rain and it says not to use it in the rain.  I\'m anxious to try out the new toy though.

God Bless,

Beth C

pest control
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 09:48:26 AM »
Don\'t know about insects, but I\'ve found ultrasonic devices are useless for mice. I know a lot of people swear by diatomaceous earth for insect control. I\'ve used it in the garden with limited success, and it\'s supposed to be safe around animals.

grisaboy

pest control
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 11:36:03 AM »
I put up a rain gutter.
All of the spiders went up the water spout.
Along came the rain and it washed the spiders out.

John

pest control
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 12:12:20 PM »
I emailed the company and asked if the device affects chickens and the answer is...
Yes, unfortunately it will affect them.

Luisa Ramirez
Customer Service Manager

I\'ll try that gutter idea next...seems like I\'ve heard about that years ago.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
pest control
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 12:19:52 PM »
Quote from: John

I\'ll try that gutter idea next...seems like I\'ve heard about that years ago.

When you were about five???????  :p
Jean

dak

pest control
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 12:42:40 PM »
My chickens did a number on the baby tarantulas around here.  Everbody grabbed a leg and no more tarantula.  Yummy!

eliz

pest control
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 08:29:09 AM »
I have been ok on the bugs and spiders,  and even carpenter ants with the chicken help. My problem is for the first time this year, rats have been a problem, both near the animals and in the yard/field. tunnels everywhere. Our dog and several cats have not been able to deal with. Have tried all the non poisonous options except the electric box and they repeatedly get the bait and walk. Resisted poison because of the cats and dog.
    So is there a poison that is better? to use around cats and dogs, or if the rats get sick do they hide and die? Have been thinking of building a cat cage so that i can place bait boxes but worrying about them finding a dead one to eat afterwards, or do i only need to worry about cats and the dying ones that are easy to catch???
Thanks for all help, eliz

dak

pest control
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 04:29:21 PM »
As a vet, I have seen dogs and cats that have eaten poisoned rats and mice, and then are extremly sick/and or dying themselves.  Use with caution.

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
pest control
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 10:33:45 PM »
I don\'t understand why one would wish to get rid of their spiders.  Their webs are good fly and mosquito catchers!
But if you don\'t want them around, I also recommend the DE.  Use the atomizer to distribute it all over your walls.

As far as the mice go, I had that problem last year.  Tunnels everywhere.  I don\'t know where they went this year, guess it\'s been too hot and dry!  Anyway, tried the spring traps you put in the ground, didn\'t work.  Tried the poison pellets you put in their tunnels.  Really don\'t know how that worked.  It probably killed a few.  Tried those electronic stakes that go in the ground to run them off.  That didn\'t work either.  I finally bought a couple of live traps from the co-op made for mice.  Put some poison bait inside because I didn\'t want to have to deal with a live mouse.  Now that worked!  Once they go in, they can\'t get out.  Don\'t know if they make any big enough for rats though.  Another thing I\'ve seen used in warehouses are covered traps that have a very sticky substance in them.  Once the rat or mouse goes in, it\'s not coming out.  They generally die in there.  So if you have cats or dogs that you don\'t want eating poisoned mice, that would be the way to go.  If you have big rats, you could just get a rat trap and make a homemade type cover that would prevent the dog, cat or chicken from getting to it.
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...