Author Topic: waterers and such  (Read 1895 times)

eliz

waterers and such
« on: July 23, 2010, 08:42:45 PM »
I recently constructed a few 4\'x8\'x2\' chicken tractors with hanging feeders but had a hard time figuring out a good way to supply water without the mess and spills. I saw an ad for Avian Aqua Misers, a nipple type water spigot and am now sold on the idea. Using 2 gal. buckets with lids from the hardware store, i placed 3 nipples each and hung them on a cross bracket. They figured it out real quick, no mess, no poop and i don\'t need to take them out every day to fill. I\'m planning on using 5 gal. buckets in the coop runs now. Just wished to pass this along to anyone who has not seen them.

Their site has a picture of a hose/pvc pipe with float automatic waterer also.
eliz

Beth C

waterers and such
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 08:21:51 AM »
Great idea! Sounds like a lambar bucket for feeding baby goats/lambs, but w/different nipples.  Do you just buy the nipples and drill holes in the bucket to fit them? I need to look into that - mine are too far from the water source to use an automatic waterer, and I have to constantly clean out standard chicken waterers because they scratch dirt into them plugging them up. Do you have a link to that site?

jeeperspeepers-r4us

waterers and such
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 09:53:17 AM »
We made them with 1 gallon milk/OJ jugs, but you can use 5 gallon buckets also. Got them from Farmtek

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/cat1;ft1_poultry_equipment-ft1_poultry_watering_systems;ft1_hoses_nipples.html