Author Topic: Proper lavender color  (Read 2993 times)

dak

Proper lavender color
« on: August 25, 2010, 01:53:21 PM »
What is the shade of lavender that we should be trying to achieve?  I seem to have a range in my 10 birds.  Darker? Lighter?  I know even tone and no barring is a goal along with no yellow/gold leakage.  dak

Mike Gilbert

Proper lavender color
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 05:35:43 PM »
Quote from: dak
What is the shade of lavender that we should be trying to achieve?  I seem to have a range in my 10 birds.  Darker? Lighter?  I know even tone and no barring is a goal along with no yellow/gold leakage.  dak

Also no silver leakage.   The challenge is to produce as even colored birds as possible, just like buff.   I would think that the way to produce even colored birds would be to mate those with the same shade of color, especially on the breast, but maybe others who have bred lavender have more insight on this.

dak

Proper lavender color
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 11:46:24 PM »
Personally, I find the lighter shades more attractive.  I would still like to know if there is a \"correct\" shade.

Mike Gilbert

Proper lavender color
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 08:39:41 AM »
My advice is breed what you like since it is not in the standard for Ameraucanas (yet).  Or get together with other breeders of lavender to see if you can arrive at a consensus.

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Proper lavender color
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 03:58:09 PM »
Dak,
   Try and find a picture of a Self Blue Old English Game Bantam on the internet.  That is what I believe the color is suppose to be as close as possible.  Yes, the lighter shade is more eye appealing but as far as silvery(shiny) hackle and saddle feathers that will have to be determined when the standard is accepted.  Try and stay away from the silvery feathers probably.  The English I believe call the Lavender,    \" Pearl grey\",  so that would be closer to light color than dark if that is the case.  
Harry Shaffer

John

Proper lavender color
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 04:14:48 PM »
I would think that we would stick with the current APA description for \"self blue\".  Where the standard is vague we can go for pretty.  As with buff I would say an even shade of lavender is more important than whether it is light or dark.
Check out the British lavenders...
http://www.araucana.org.uk/photos.html

dak

Proper lavender color
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 03:51:51 AM »
Thanks for the wisdom Mike, Harry and John.  I\'m looking forward to when this color is accepted!  

Proper lavender color
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 05:37:35 PM »
Quote from: dak
Thanks for the wisdom Mike, Harry and John.  I\'m looking forward to when this color is accepted!  

Me too!  This is a project I am also working on.