Author Topic: The Northeast is boring  (Read 3016 times)

Birch Run Farm

The Northeast is boring
« on: September 23, 2010, 07:25:12 AM »
Finally found a minute to catch up on some reading and went throught the Bulletin last night.  Hmm, I don\'t see any meets scheduled for my area!

:o

Mike Gilbert

The Northeast is boring
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 08:08:40 AM »
Meets are scheduled at the request of members when there is a reasonable expectation that more than one member will attend and show.    The hope is that, in areas with few members, this will provide current members with an incentive to get others started in the breed, perhaps even sponsor new memberships from time to time.     A meet where only one member would show is kind of meaningless.   As secretary of Chantecler Fanciers International, we have developed a policy that requires three members showing to qualify for a meet.   We have one member in South Dakota who has signed up at least a half dozen members in his area this year, and they just had a very successful meet at the South Dakota
State Fair with 57 Chanteclers shown by nine exhibitors.  A Chantecler was judged reserve bird in the American Class out of over 130 entries in that class.   Not bad for a \"forgotten\" breed.   So the challenge is there; the club is what we the members make it.

Birch Run Farm

The Northeast is boring
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 08:44:58 AM »
I sold some birds (araucanas) to one of your Chanteler guys last night!  Trying to get him interested in showing his Chants.  I do know he\'s headed to Frankenmuth next month.

OK, so anyone within the NE planning to attend any shows?  I will be at NEPC as usual, probably will do the Boston show too.

The Northeast is boring
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 02:12:47 PM »
There is a fairly big show in Cobbleskill NY this weekend and a bigger one in Syracuse NY this October?.  I am planning on going to the Syracuse one....Yankee Fall Classic Poultry show, I think its called.  Hopefully to show a bird or two but I would be happy to man an ameraucana table if other members want to help.

The Northeast is boring
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 08:36:38 AM »
Quote from: chicken stalker
There is a fairly big show in Cobbleskill NY this weekend and a bigger one in Syracuse NY this October?.  I am planning on going to the Syracuse one....Yankee Fall Classic Poultry show, I think its called.  Hopefully to show a bird or two but I would be happy to man an ameraucana table if other members want to help.

I\'m entering a blue wheaten pullet at Syracuse. The entries don\'t close until Ot. 4th. I have shown some Ameraucanas there for the past 3 years and no one else has. Its a big show, 5 clubs put it on. I wish more would show them. They also have a show the 1st Sunday in June each year.

Sterling

Birch Run Farm

The Northeast is boring
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 09:53:23 AM »
Ugh, for ameraucanas my older birds are getting motly from molting and the younger ones I got from you, Sue, are not quite old enough and my peeps are still peeps!

My cuckoo marans are looking fine but they aren\'t accepted yet- drat.  I have some gorgeous girls too.

Anything happening in late November or December in NY?  Sue, you should come to NEPC in January!

The Northeast is boring
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 10:48:16 AM »
Quote from: sterling
Quote from: chicken stalker

I\'m entering a blue wheaten pullet at Syracuse. The entries don\'t close until Ot. 4th. I have shown some Ameraucanas there for the past 3 years and no one else has. Its a big show, 5 clubs put it on. I wish more would show them. They also have a show the 1st Sunday in June each year.

Sterling

I was thinking about showing my white roo, white hen and maybe a lavender hen.  hmmmm....theres still time to enter.  This would be my first show.

Birch Run Farm

The Northeast is boring
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 06:26:39 PM »
Oooh, do it, showing is fun and a good place to become interested in other \'projects\'!  Plus you meet lots of great like-minded people.  Go for it and good luck!  Oh, then come to NEPC in January!

:p

The Northeast is boring
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 07:44:16 PM »
Quote from: Birch Run Farm
Ugh, for ameraucanas my older birds are getting motly from molting and the younger ones I got from you, Sue, are not quite old enough and my peeps are still peeps!

My cuckoo marans are looking fine but they aren\'t accepted yet- drat.  I have some gorgeous girls too.

Anything happening in late November or December in NY?  Sue, you should come to NEPC in January!

I show my Marans & blrws anyhow. They have a class for Marans  at these shows. Even though they aren\'t accepted, you can still show them. Actually, the only chickesn I have that are APA are the Amerauanas.

BTW, I\'m looking for a nice blue wheaten rooster. I have decent hens, but no good boys....

Sue

Birch Run Farm

The Northeast is boring
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 09:58:52 PM »
I will have extras sooner or later, they are still chicks and I want to see how they grow out!  I put the older ones out in a small coop inside the larger coop today.  Their eyes sure got big once they saw all of the grown birds!  That light blue W cockerel is neat looking.