Author Topic: Length of time for roos to get correct color?  (Read 5327 times)

Length of time for roos to get correct color?
« on: September 26, 2010, 02:36:51 PM »
I am having trouble with my blue wheaten cockerels.

They aren\'t getting the \"red\" head & hackles. Does this take time to change, or are they culls?

If it takes time, how long should I wait?
Sue

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 03:02:47 PM »
How old are they?   Could you post a photo for an example of what you mean?

dardavis

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 11:39:50 PM »
I have some almost 6 month old cockerels that still don\'t have the red/orange hackles.

I\'m thinking I\'m going to have to remove them from the flock.

QUADCH

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 11:57:44 PM »
Are they something other than a light orange or do they just have a lot of black or dark striping in them?

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 06:47:40 PM »
If we are talking bantams, give them seven or eight months.
Up to ten months if large fowl.   Usually the muffs and beard are the last to change color, and the hackle tends to improve with age.

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 03:48:14 PM »
Mine are large fowl, about 4-5 months old, so I guess I\'ll give them more time.

Sue

John

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 06:25:18 PM »
Photos would help.

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 04:59:32 PM »
I feel like a complete idiot....LOL

I just read the post about splash wheatens, and it dawned on me that the cockerels I said were not coloring out right, are splash wheatens! It never occured to me they could be splash....

Thank goodness I noticed that post...Thanks for the advice..

Its hard to see what the splash hens look like, is there somewhere with a larger more clear photo of a splash wheaten?
Sue

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 05:48:36 PM »
Splash wheaten females look pretty much like wheaten or blue wheaten females, maybe a shade lighter, but the black or blue sections (tail and flights) are white instead of colored.

Tailfeathers

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 12:27:07 AM »
Sue, I can usually tell how my BW cockerels are going to turn out by 4-6 months but I agree, I would give them until at least 6-8 months.  By then you should be able to start seeing the ones you\'ll want to cull for sure.

I\'ve been trying to get rid of all the red in my tails for example and by 4-6 months, I know if one has too much red for sure.  However, I do find that it takes a while for the hackles to come in good and get rid of the webbing.  I\'d be very interested in hearing from Jean (or any others) on what they\'ve found to be the case for those cockerels that they\'re turning out without any blue or black webbing in the hackles.

I\'m also interested in hearing how long it takes to see a full beard without any white?

Lastly, just FYI, next year I plan to start a project where I take pictures of my Wheatens and Blue Wheatens every week and then make an album of such through the first year.  Once that is completed, I think it will be a very useful catalog to return to whenever there is a question like yours.  It\'s something I\'ve been wanting to do but just haven\'t made it a priority.  I think next year I\'m just gonna do it.

God Bless,