Author Topic: posting photos  (Read 4949 times)

John

posting photos
« on: November 20, 2005, 04:40:47 PM »
I\'m still trying to figure out how to post pictures on these forums.....

If you have the photo (or any other \"attachment\"), that you want to add to your post, saved somewhere on your computer it is easy to do.  When you \"reply\" to a post a reply window (screen or box) comes up.  You type your reply in the \"Message\" area as usual, but then click on \"Browse\" down below in the \"Attachments\" area.   From there you choose the file (such as a photo) that you want to attach.   Maybe it is under \"my pictures\" or somewhere else, but once you find it click on it and then click \"open\".  The file location should then be in the box to the left of the \"Browse\" button.  Then click on the \"Add Attachment\" button.  It may take a minute.  You\'ll be able to preview your post with the attachment, before clicking \"Reply\" to complete your reply.  I\'ve attached the ABC logo below just to prove it works.  
The one thing that may cause a problem is if your file (photo or whatever) is too large.  We have a 35KB max. file size so that folks with a dial up phone hook up don\'t have to wait forever for things to download.  If the photo is too big, it will tell you so and you can edit it down to size.

posting photos
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 09:30:23 PM »
Ahhhh!  Posting Pictures for Dumbies!  
  Thank you John.  I tried it, but my pics are to big.  Can you tell me how to shrink them?  Just kidding...I don\'t really have anything worth posting.  I don\'t \"do\" photography very well either....LOL

John

posting photos
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 09:48:16 AM »
There are many programs available to edit pictures.  One may have come with your computer.  I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager to shrink my pictures.  It has a \"compress picture\" option under \"edit picture\".  It gives me options to compress them to email or website size files for quicker up and down loading.  I\'ve found it is best to crop the photos first.  That can reduce the file size a bunch.
Don\'t be shy...

John

posting photos
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 08:06:40 PM »
What do you think about increasing the limit of the size of photos from 35 to 70KB?  I know it will take longer for a dial-up connection, but believe most have high speed.  This one is just under 70KB.  

John

posting photos
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 08:11:10 PM »
Here it is at just under 35KB.

Blue Egg Acres

posting photos
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
Would it cost the club anything? If so, how much?

John

posting photos
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 11:48:39 AM »
No cost...it\'s just a change I make in the forum settings.

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
posting photos
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 12:43:27 PM »
I\'m fine with it, but I do doubt if many country folk have high-speed.  Waiting for pics to download would turn me off of a site in a hurry.
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

Blue Egg Acres

posting photos
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 02:34:14 PM »
Why not give it a try? can you switch back if it doesn\'t work out?

Beth C

posting photos
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 03:01:56 PM »
I agree w/Barbara - worth a try. I don\'t think anyone here really posts huge numbers of pictures at once, so I don\'t think the change would make much of a difference in terms of speed, but just a thought - is there a way to allow users to turn images on/off, so that they can view just text on a page if images are taking too long to load?

John

posting photos
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 07:15:06 PM »
Right now it is setup to accept attachments up to 50KB, but I can change it back to 35 or whatever.  Maybe we\'ll leave it at 50KB for awhile and see how it goes.
I don\'t know of any option to not download the attachments by the users, but they can opt to not view avatars, signatures and emoticons by changing their Control Panel settings.
What do you all with dial-up think?

Tailfeathers

posting photos
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 12:19:14 AM »
My two-cents:  Go for it!

I\'ve tried to post pics in the past & have had to use Tinypics or such because of the file being too large.  I agree, most folks no longer and dial-up and even if they do, it\'s a nightmare just waiting for any kind of pic to load.

God Bless,