Author Topic: How would you go about getting a variety recogized  (Read 6924 times)

How would you go about getting a variety recogized
« on: October 16, 2010, 11:57:10 PM »
how would u go about getting a veriety regogized

bantamhill

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 06:34:57 AM »
Members in a breed club agree on a description, develop, and begin showing the variety. It is always easier to do if the variety exists in other breeds. When there is a sustainable population of quality birds the breed club applies to the APA, pays a fee, submits a minimum of 5 breeders breeding for 5 years, and has a qualifying meet.

That is the short version.

Michael

John

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 11:45:06 AM »
Recently Mike corresponded with Sam Brush about the APA fees and Sam said:
At Belvidere last fall the APA Board voted to put a new fee structure in place.

$200 for a variety (e.g. Buff Chanteclers)
     $400 for a breed  (e.g. White Seramas)
     $500 for a species  (e.g. Green Chachalacas)

The logic was that it took far more than the $50 fee we had before to do all the process work and get them into the Standard.

dak

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 11:57:27 AM »
I realize that getting lavs recognized is the priority currently.  Is there another variety that there is sufficient numbers and interest to work on next? ie Splash Wheaten

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 12:54:38 PM »
im involved with naked neck silkies aka showgirls we tring get them a veriety of silkies, also ameraucana and knew u guy have got thing reg lately

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 05:10:34 PM »
Quote from: dak
I realize that getting lavs recognized is the priority currently.  Is there another variety that there is sufficient numbers and interest to work on next? ie Splash Wheaten

DAK, the APA does not recognize splash, and until they do I doubt we would have much luck with splash wheaten.   Things can always change in the future.   I\'m still toying with Black Gold bantams, but I think most everyone else except possibly Lyne Peterson in CA has given up.   I would like to find someone to work with me on this project.   I do have a cock and pullet available for the right person, but they would have to be in the upper midwest so we can exchange stock when needed.

dak

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 07:02:47 PM »
This probably sound like a novice complaint, but it seems absurd to me not to recognize splash when is a natural product of blue x blue in any breed blue is recognized.

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 08:43:04 PM »
they recogize splash silkies

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 09:12:27 PM »
The ABA recognizes splash, the APA does not.

Beth C

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 09:28:11 AM »
Is anyone currently doing anything w/partridge? Someone mentioned it a while back, but I haven\'t heard anything lately.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 01:33:50 PM »
Yes, Ken Olsen in Kansas is working on large fowl partridge Ameraucanas.   Ken attended the National Meet in Kentucky.
He is the one on the far left in the back row of the group photo.

John

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 02:21:05 PM »
Beth,
Do a search for \"partridge\" on the forum and you can re-read the old topics.  Here is a link to one...
http://ameraucana.org/abcforum/index.php?a=topic&t=1156

angora831

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 02:23:46 PM »
I am now in the position to work on crosses next spring due to the fact that Partridge Plymouth Rocks were hard to come by.  Mike made a pair of Partridge Rock pullets available to me to start with this spring, but unfortunately I was only able to hatch 6 eggs before they stopped laying when the hot weather arrived.  Late this August they both went broodie and when the first egg hatched they forgot about the rest.  So right now I have 7-8 F1 chicks running around.  They were all mated to a LF Black rooster.  These first chicks now are developing some red-brown flecks in their feathers which show up real nice when they are in the sun. Not too much coloring, but enought to know that there is some Partridge running around in their gene pool.
This year I was able to get some Partridge Rock chicks from Joel Gilman in VA and a few other varieties of LF Ameraucanas to work with in Spring of 2011. I should now have enough stock on hand to have several crosses and to see what developes.  As the F1s continue to grow I will also have a better idea what I have and go from there in the spring.
Slow and steady wins the race.  I am seeing real fast that this will be a marathon and not a 100 yd dash!

Ken

Beth C

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 08:17:30 PM »
Can\'t wait to see them! This is a project I\'d love to work with down the road.

Birch Run Farm

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 06:19:52 PM »
I too would like to see splash wheaten, large fowl, recognized.