Author Topic: Nice Cockerel  (Read 2563 times)

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Nice Cockerel
« on: October 11, 2010, 03:22:18 PM »
Look what someone else made:

Lennon, Michigan

Here is a 6 1/2 month old cockerel by a Pips n Peeps cock and a John Blehm hen, whatcha think?:

I\'m really impressed, the legs are a bit light, but the red is a better more even color than I have been able to get so far.  And, his beard is getting nice and black.

But alas, still more work to be done......
Jean

Tailfeathers

Nice Cockerel
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 03:30:53 PM »
Very nice looking bird.  The hackles certainly are some of the best I\'ve seen.  

The legs do look quite light and I see a bit of red in the tail but overall a very nice looking bird.  

I\'m working on the hackles now.  Hopefully in a few years I\'ll have gotten nice clean, red hackles.  I\'m also trying to get a full black (or blue) beard.  

Anyone found any connections to anything yet that might speed up my progress with either or both?

God Bless,

Mike Gilbert

Nice Cockerel
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 01:28:06 PM »
A beautiful cockerel.   Wish he had been at Fowl Fest so we could have seen him in the flesh.  Nice overall type, and deep enough and wide enough that when he fills out he should be very competitive with the blacks.   I have not seen one with a better combination of type and color at that age.  I do think many of the blacks are getting too small and too short of leg and tail.  My own brown red large fowl are also too small, so I have made some tentative plans on how to improve them.

Birch Run Farm

Nice Cockerel
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 09:14:17 AM »
He looks like a nice bird to me as well.