Author Topic: Cockerel weight  (Read 2756 times)

dak

Cockerel weight
« on: October 16, 2010, 10:07:32 PM »
I have a black cockerel who has just turned 5 months old and weighs an even 6 pounds.  Approximately what weight should I expect him to mature to?  He is a product of a Lavender split to Lavender split breeding.

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Cockerel weight
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 11:21:07 PM »
Dak,
   If he came from out of my stock directly or thru another breeder who had some of my stock  you can expect about an 8 lb male.  
Harry Shaffer

dak

Cockerel weight
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 11:42:13 AM »
I believe one of the grandparents came from your stock.  I plan to test breed him to see if he carries the lav gene and if so breed him back to the pullets I hatched this year from your eggs.

Mike Gilbert

Cockerel weight
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 03:50:11 PM »
Standard weight for a mature cock bird in Ameraucanas is 6.5 lbs.    Adding the 20% extra allowed, the maximum should be 7.8 lbs.    So an 8 lb cock should technically be disqualified at a show.   Could be useful with undersized hens however to bring the weight up to aproximately standard weight.

dak

Cockerel weight
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 07:04:30 PM »
With my lavs being a bit on the small size, it seems justified.

Cloverleaf Farm

Cockerel weight
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 09:01:33 PM »
Jean weighed by lavender cockerel today, and at exactly 6 months old, he\'s a whopping 6lbs, 9oz.  He\'s being shown until he\'s too big, then he\'s just going to be used to improve size on the girls I have which are tiny.  :)