Author Topic: Splashes  (Read 31226 times)

Mike Gilbert

Splashes
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 06:20:32 PM »
Perhaps it is time to update the club\'s Breeders Directory.
John, do you have time to do that?   Once accomplished, anyone interested in helping to establish a new variety should order a copy to see who the others might be that are working on specific new varieties.   Then those members should contact each other to establish a core group of five or more and designate a spokesman to apprise the club secretary (currently John Blehm) of when the qualifying meet(s) should be scheduled, general location, etc.   The secretary will then coordinate the qualifying meet(s) with the American Bantam Association and American Poultry Association.  Any one who decides to participate should be prepared to travel, perhaps a long distance, to show at the qualifying meet(s).   In 1983 we had members from Wisconsin, Illinois, Tennessee, California, and perhaps another state or two who helped to qualify the breed at Columbus, Ohio.
From a personal standpoint, I am already working with black gold bantams and perhaps could be persuaded to help out with black gold large fowl when seed stock is available to be shared.   I would also help out with splash bantams since I raise blues.
Any questions?

Mike Gilbert

John

Splashes
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 08:45:47 PM »
The Breeders Directory is up-to-date for now...It gets updated every January, since I start it over from scratch each year.  The 2005 Directory contains info on 35 breeders.  
I have sent membership forms to all the members to fill out and return with their dues.  The bottom portion of the form should be filled out only if the member wants to also be included in the 2006 Breeders Directory.  The 30+ that have already paid their dues for 2006 can still send in the forms to be included in the 2006 Directory.
Members may include all the varieties they are working on, on the forms, not just those that they offer for sale.
I would prefer to have the Directory as part of our website, so that it can be accessed at anytime by anyone and have the latest info.

far149

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Splashes
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
Are we any closer to requesting our splashes be recognized or has the interest waned?
Aaron
Rhoton Hill Farms

Coyote

Splashes
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 03:42:56 PM »
I have raised Splashes since the first one showed up 7 years ago. I am willing to help but only go to 3 or 4 shows a year. Let me know what I can do to help.

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Splashes
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 08:33:14 AM »
We are still raising splashes and splash wheatens.
Started breeding splash to splash in 2005.  We have another pen of them this year.
Paul Smith

Mike Gilbert

Splashes
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 08:35:31 AM »
I will be mating blue to blue bantams again this year, so should have a few splash to show and share this fall.

jwoodhaven

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.woodhavenpoultry.com
Splashes
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 04:07:29 PM »
As most of you  that know us know, e have been raising and showing splash for about 10 years now.  Unfortunatly there has not been a lot of competion. We mainly show large fowl and have had a few bantams from time to time. We some times put pens together pens for breeding with the intent of gettins splash from the crosss.As you all know, breeding with blacks, blues and splash, there is never a guarantee how many of each color you will get. Also the eveness of the splashing varies.
We would be interested in getting the color approved and would help out if we can.
I may be mistaken, but the only breed the might have splash approved are the Modern Games. At the least , they are working on it. We could be one of the first breeds to get this done if enough people are interested.

Jake and Jerry

Mike Gilbert

Splashes
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 08:10:29 PM »
Splash Silkies were admitted to the APA Standard in the year 2000, so along with the Moderns, there is enough precedent now for proceeding with Splash Ameraucana acceptance.  The monetary fees have become much more substantial than they used to be.   Should that be something the ABC organization pays for, or should the members that raise and show splash be on the hook for that?

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
Splashes
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 09:19:42 PM »
Where, or why, does adding another recognized color (splash) create monetary fees? Are you talking about prize money having to be raised to award the splash classes at the shows or in a different area? I’m not sure I understand what monetary fees you are referring to. Please bear with me; this is my first year as a member.

I will be raising splash Ameraucanas this year. I have an awesome splash cockerel (thanks again Paul) that I have in with my best two black hens and a splash right now and have been gathering eggs (18 so far) since Dec. 22nd to set on January 1st. I’m anticipating some really good blue chicks. I then plan to put him in with two splash females to raise straight splash. And regardless of whether or not the splash-color becomes recognized, I will continue to raise them. I’ve had three people contact me in the last two months off of the ABC directory. Two of those are planning to order 10-15 just splash. At this point, I really wish I had a few more splash pullets. I’m really hoping my blue on blues throw me a bunch, too.

--Sharon
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Splashes
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 09:36:19 PM »
There is a fee to be paid to offset the cost of adding the color to the Standard of Perfection.  I have already sent an e-mail to Sam Brush and Pat Horstman requesting the current amount of the fee and have been waiting a couple days for an answer.

I would imagine we have enough money in the membership to cover these fees, but I have to get final word from the BOD.

I am sure that any \"donations\" to the Club would be appreciated also.
Jean

Mike Gilbert

Splashes
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2011, 09:55:04 PM »
Quote from: Jean
There is a fee to be paid to offset the cost of adding the color to the Standard of Perfection.  I have already sent an e-mail to Sam Brush and Pat Horstman requesting the current amount of the fee and have been waiting a couple days for an answer.

I would imagine we have enough money in the membership to cover these fees, but I have to get final word from the BOD.

And what about the ABA?   Are we going for that as well?  It would be another fee.

FLFAmeraucanas

Splashes
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2011, 10:08:07 PM »
I\'ve been working with LF splash for a couple years now as well (they are a personal favorite of mine, even though not recognized).  My Blue/Splash pen currently hasa splash rooster, 2 splash pullets, a splash hen, a blue hen, and a couple blacks.  I\'m hoping to get to show some this year (depends on my work schedule and my son\'s schedule). I also have been working on Lav LF and will hopefully have some nice enough to take to a couple shows this year.  Not sure if that helps at all?  How much of an individual comitment does it take showing wise? I\'m a newbie...

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Splashes
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2011, 10:51:35 AM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
Quote from: Jean

And what about the ABA?   Are we going for that as well?  It would be another fee.

Yes, for the splash variety.  I will have to contact them also. :)
Jean

far149

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Splashes
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 08:33:36 PM »
Donations from Splash breeders to offset the club\'s expenses for getting the variety recognized is a good idea. Count me in when the time comes.
Aaron
Rhoton Hill Farms

Tailfeathers

Splashes
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2011, 10:06:03 PM »
I do not currently have any SW\'s.  I can\'t even remember now what happened to the one SW Cockerel I had.  Didn\'t get any SW\'s last year even though I wanted to.  Or at least none of the chicks I kept turned out to be such.  Probably sold the only ones I hatched!

At any rate, I hope to get some this year.  If I can get me a nice SW male, I\'ll keep him for future breeding.  Probably same goes for the females too.  Since I\'m maintaining a closed flock and don\'t really want to breed brother to sister, I\'ll just have to build up my SW\'s as I can.

But I\'d certainly be willing to help out with getting them aproved.  I\'m quite fond of the SW\'s.  The males in particular.

God Bless,