Author Topic: SOP - Blue Wheaten  (Read 5382 times)

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
SOP - Blue Wheaten
« on: November 23, 2010, 09:00:21 PM »
Since I do not have an APA SOP (been waiting for the new one) can someone look through it and confirm that the ameraucana is the only bird that has the blue wheaten color approved.

Thanks,
Jean

Beth C

SOP - Blue Wheaten
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 09:50:52 PM »
I just looked through mine, and if there\'s another one, I can\'t find it.

Coyote

SOP - Blue Wheaten
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 11:42:14 PM »
I don\'t have a SOP handy but what about OEG?

Beth C

SOP - Blue Wheaten
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 08:00:12 AM »
Only wheaten is listed for OEG, as well as moderns. But this was printed in 1998, so wouldn\'t have anything that was recognized in the last 12 years.

Has anyone heard anymore as to when the new addition is coming out?

Mike Gilbert

SOP - Blue Wheaten
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 09:08:21 AM »
Blue Wheaten is recognized by the American Bantam Association in O.E. Games.     Until recently the ABA had always been much more responsive to their membership than the APA, but it looks like that has changed in recent years, and now they are about the same.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
SOP - Blue Wheaten
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 10:35:35 AM »
Mike,

According to the list on the APA site here:  http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/APA_Recognized_Breeds_6_2010.pdf

Only Blue Breasted Red is accepted and I have talked to judges before and BBR is not the same color as wheaten.

Was it omitted on accident???

Just wanted to add, if we are the only breed with blue wheaten it may be another point to add when discussing the \"lavender\" topic with the APA.
Jean

Mike Gilbert

SOP - Blue Wheaten
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 12:37:41 PM »
Jean, sorry if I was unclear.   Here is what I said.  The ABA does recognize blue wheaten in the Old English.  But not the APA.  

Quote from: Mike Gilbert
Blue Wheaten is recognized by the American Bantam Association in O.E. Games.  

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
SOP - Blue Wheaten
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 12:45:54 PM »
OOPPPSSS, guess I can\'t read.....

One would think they would recognize the same colors and work jointly to promote the fancy?????
Jean

Mike Gilbert

SOP - Blue Wheaten
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 04:14:43 PM »
Jean, the ABA came into existence because the APA would not properly respond to bantam fanciers.   Now you have people running the ABA who have strong ties to the APA, so it is not difficult to understand why the ABA has become more difficult to work with.   Some would like to see the two organizations merge.   I believe that would be a huge mistake as it eliminates what little competition is left, and competition is what drives vendor responsiveness to their customers/members.    If that merger occurs, the door is open for yet another national poultry organization, one that believes in serving the membership.    And would you believe my college degree is in Business Administration?   ;)

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
SOP - Blue Wheaten
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 05:21:13 PM »
It\'s still a nice little bit of information that may help in the discussion of \"lavender\" with the APA.  It just goes to show we are unique.

I hope to keep gathering little facts here and there to bring to the table, but from the discussion on that \"other\" site, it is going to be difficult.

No one is willing to come forth and say why the term lavender is so objectionable.  I feel like a kid that keeps asking \"WHY?\".....
Jean

John

SOP - Blue Wheaten
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 06:42:34 PM »
Some would like to see the two organizations merge.

That\'s the way I\'ve looked at it.  They have a joint youth program and work together to make thier two standards the same where possible and in many cases we refer to them as one...\"APA/ABA\".  If the standards were written by the breed clubs I would imagine both organizations would have the exact same wording.  If they remain separate I would like the ABA to go head to head with the APA by recognizing the same poultry, not just bantams.  If not they might as well merge and open that \'\'door\".  

it is going to be difficult.

That\'s what they want us to think, but don\'t fall for those that try to intimidate.
“Never let them see you sweat.”
\"We shall overcome.\"
\"United We Stand...\" and all that stuff!
\"Man, they said we better Accentuate the positive Eliminate the negative - Latch on to the affirmative...\"  I know I\'ve quoted that lyric line before, but love it.

grisaboy

SOP - Blue Wheaten
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 12:14:05 PM »
Quote from: Jean
It\'s still a nice little bit of information that may help in the discussion of \"lavender\" with the APA.  It is going to be difficult.

No one is willing to come forth and say why the term lavender is so objectionable.  I feel like a kid that keeps asking \"WHY?\".....

There are lots of examples in the SOP of breeds that have different variety names same color variety.  Silver laced wyandottes have the same color pattern as silver Sebrights or Silver Polish.  Silver Penciled Rocks look just like dark Brahmas.  Golden and Golden Duckwing are often used interchangeably.  There are some in the APA organization who are opposed to change.  They are resistant to adding new varieties and new breeds to the standard.  (have you read some of the opposition to adding Marans and Seramas?).  The opposers are not in the majority.  Otherwise new breeds, like Ameraucanas, would never be accepted.  The rules for adding new varieties and breeds and varieties is well defined in the standard.  As long as these rules are followed, there should be no problem getting Lavender Ameraucanas (and Splash) accepted into the standard.  I think that Lavender Silkies will probably make the push for acceptance before we do so the may \'grease the skids\' for us.

Curtis

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
SOP - Blue Wheaten
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 12:17:13 PM »
Curtis,

The silkie breeders already caved and changed their color to self blue.......................
Jean