Author Topic: LF black pullets wanted  (Read 3553 times)

Cloverleaf Farm

LF black pullets wanted
« on: December 22, 2010, 07:55:14 PM »
If anybody has any LF black pullets, I\'m in the market.  I\'m getting chicks from John, but not until March, and after the disgustingly GREEN eggs one of my black pullets just started laying, she is going AWAY and needs to be replaced. I\'d like 2, but 1 would work also.

Already laying = FANTASTIC, not laying yet = good enough.

Thanks.

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
LF black pullets wanted
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 09:29:20 AM »
I am keeping my black hen that lays green eggs.  I know that she carries the gene for blue, but also carries a light brown to make green.  Since my roos come from blue eggs, she should produce some pullets that lay blue eggs.  I am keeping her because she is outstanding in type and size and I need that.  In fact, I put her in my black gold pen for a year to improve type and size - knowing I would get some green eggs in my all blue pen.

From what I\'ve heard there is a lot of green eggs in the blacks.  It\'s something to work on, not necessarily throw away.  ...just something to think about...
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

John

LF black pullets wanted
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 10:07:57 AM »
I am keeping my black hen that lays green eggs. I know that she carries the gene for blue, but also carries a light brown to make green. Since my roos come from blue eggs, she should produce some pullets that lay blue eggs. I am keeping her because she is outstanding in type and size and I need that. In fact, I put her in my black gold pen for a year to improve type and size - knowing I would get some green eggs in my all blue pen.

It sounds like you have a good plan there and understand breeding.

Cloverleaf Farm

LF black pullets wanted
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 01:00:52 PM »
I had heard that the blacks had the bluest eggs and were often used to improve egg color as well as type, etc.  I really like this pullet otherwise, so if you think it\'s not that big of an issue, maybe I\'ll keep her.  I\'ll post an egg color pic, even though my cell isn\'t EXACTLY right with color...the egg on the left is from my bantam blacks, the one in the middle is the lf black pullet\'s egg, and the one on the right is from my bantam lavs (that one is much more \"teal\" than as olive as it looks in the pic)...

And the next day\'s egg from the LF black was even greener than this one...

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
LF black pullets wanted
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 01:49:10 PM »
Your black pullet\'s egg is the same color as mine.  You can work on getting rid of the green color later.  At any time, you can stop hatching the green eggs.  The blue egg layers do not have any brown genes to transmit (they can\'t hide it), so it\'s an easy solution.

This \"work\" is what makes it FUN!
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
LF black pullets wanted
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 01:50:57 PM »
Oh yeah, I suspect your bantam lav egg carries brown also.  Just don\'t be too quick to throw the baby out with the bath water.
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

Cloverleaf Farm

LF black pullets wanted
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 02:51:24 PM »
Quote from: bryngyld
Oh yeah, I suspect your bantam lav egg carries brown also.  Just don\'t be too quick to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Thanks!  Yeah, I wasn\'t as disappointed with the lav\'s egg since I knew that even though they all hatched from very blue eggs, the possibility was there that they would need improvement.  Just wasn\'t expecting that from the LF blacks! :)

Cloverleaf Farm

LF black pullets wanted
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 02:52:51 PM »
Oh, and I have 2 really nice black boys to put over the lavender bantam girls to improve them. ;)