Author Topic: Incubator help  (Read 6796 times)

Incubator help
« on: December 31, 2010, 04:28:33 PM »
i bought a used GQF model 1202 cabinet style circulated air incubator. I found the direction online but they seem to be a little vague. I have the thermometer set at 99.5 and the highgromoter is 87. The red light at the side of the incubator is flashing. What does that mean? I have the back two vents slightly open. i am sure the egg turner is working properly. My mom and i couldn\'t understand the seting of the thermostat at 102 on one and 99.5 on the other-am i doing this right?

lorpman

Incubator help
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 04:50:46 PM »
If it works like mine the flashing red light simply means the heater is working properly and the 102 degree setting is a overheat protection case the 991/2 device fails to tern off at it\'s proper setting.

Jim Fegan

Mike Gilbert

Incubator help
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 06:02:01 PM »
I concur with Jim.   The electronic thermostat is so sensitive that the heating element is always going on and off;  the red light indicates when it is on.   I would be careful about using too much humidity, especially early in the incubation period.
Depending on the amount of moisture in the air some claim they get good results without adding any moisture at all until the final couple of days.   You will need to experiment a bit to see what works best for your situation.

John

Incubator help
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 06:04:46 PM »
When the red light is on the heater is heating and when it goes out the heater is off.  After opening the door and loosing heat the light will stay on for awhile, but normally it should flash on and off maybe once or twice per second.  
The top and bottom center vent holes on the newer models are a smaller diameter and don\'t get closed at all.  Additional vents to the side of the center vents can be adjusted (top and bottom) and I only adjust them to maintain the desired humidity.  
I believe the newer units also recommend the temp be set at 100.5 degrees.  
I use an electronic thermometer/hygrometer in the center of the middle tray to initially set the temp and humidity.  Take about 3 days without opening the door if you have the time to get these stable.   After that use the eggs as your guide to determine if your temp should be increased or decreased knowing that some will hatch up to a day early, but most at 21 days.  
There are a few other topics on this site on the subject that can be found by a \"search\".  It may be worth the time.

Incubator help
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 09:56:39 PM »
hmmm.  so maybe I should take out the pan of water.  Humidity level is still 85% which is much higher than what my table top styrofoam incubator measures.  I hate to mess up these eggs though!  they are cayuga ducks that I just got from Jake and Jerry.
On a similar note though I hatched a dozen beautiful little black ameraucanas in my little incubator.  Most were born on New Year\'s day.  Sadly, no buffs hatched.