Author Topic: A New Year  (Read 3159 times)

Mike Gilbert

A New Year
« on: January 01, 2011, 10:25:53 AM »
The roads here were like skating rinks last night, so we ended up staying home.  Freezing rain and alcohol are never a good mix.    It was above zero here this a.m., about 6 above,but the wind made it feel a lot colder.   When I finally went out to do chores about 8 a.m., my pen of three brown red large fowl pullets already had two eggs waiting for me.   They are proving to be outstanding winter layers.   I set another 50-something eggs yesterday, and will set again next week.  So far fertility and hatchability has been excellent for this time of year.  I wanted to share with everyone a way to save money on breeder feed.
My local feed mill mixes layer feed by grinding a Layer Concentrate (brand = Prince) which is 38 % protein, both animal and plant proteins, with ground corn.  Their normal laying formula comes out to about 16 %, but I asked them to mix mine so it comes out to about 20% or slightly less.   The chickens are doing very well on it, and the eggs are hatching.  So instead of paying $14 or $15 per fifty pounds of Purina Game Bird Layena as I have done in the past, this mixture  runs just over $10 per fifty pounds.  And they are doing very well on it.   Of course, I also feed a small amount of thawed raw ground venison scraps for extra protein and fat, so that may be having a positive effect as well.    Anyway, Happy New Year to everybody.

lorpman

A New Year
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 01:46:30 PM »
Mike, I\'ve done something similar. In the past I\'ve paid as much as $16.00 per 50# of Purina Game Bird Breeder Layena. Last week I worked with my local feed mill (50 miles away) and they made a mixture of ground corn, their layer blend concentrate and some other vitimans and minerals with a little extra calcium.  The new blend came out to 20% protein as did yours.  I came home with 1/2 a ton at the very faverable price of $8.00 per 50#.  I just started feeding it to my breeders yesterday so wont know how good it proves to be for a few weeks, but am hoping it pays off like yours.

Jim Fegan

bantamhill

A New Year
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 03:36:46 PM »
Happy New Year everyone from the Muenks! I am trying to not be homesick for the farm as I work on updating everything.

Michael

John

A New Year
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 04:01:05 PM »
Michael,

Thanks for updating the website.  I planned to get to it today, but you bet me to it.  
Is the Bulletin coming out soon?

bantamhill

A New Year
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 11:10:36 AM »
Hopefully in the mail starting tomorrow.

Mike Gilbert

A New Year
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 11:12:36 AM »
Quote from: lorpman
Mike, I\'ve done something similar. In the past I\'ve paid as much as $16.00 per 50# of Purina Game Bird Breeder Layena. Last week I worked with my local feed mill (50 miles away) and they made a mixture of ground corn, their layer blend concentrate and some other vitimans and minerals with a little extra calcium.  The new blend came out to 20% protein as did yours.  I came home with 1/2 a ton at the very faverable price of $8.00 per 50#.  I just started feeding it to my breeders yesterday so wont know how good it proves to be for a few weeks, but am hoping it pays off like yours. Jim Fegan

Jim, that is a great price.  Corn on the futures markets is running $6 plus a bushel the last time I checked, so afraid feed prices are going to keep going up.   Maybe it\'s time we all checked into alternative kinds of feeds and their sources (breeder, conditioner, layer, and maintenance rations) and share our secrets so we can afford to keep raising the numbers of birds  we have become accustomed to.   Keep us posted as to the results you get with your new breeder feed.