Author Topic: Lavender  (Read 8415 times)

Cloverleaf Farm

Lavender
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 04:18:02 PM »
Quote from: John
I think the results so far on the \"Lavender Only\" poll are interesting.  Of course it is not anything official and you have to vote to see the results, so I don\'t want to discuss them here yet.

Wow - a few more votes over there since I checked a couple of hours ago...interesting indeed! ;)

Cloverleaf Farm

Lavender
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 03:50:21 PM »
Quote from: Cloverleaf Farm
Sure you have, you just didn\'t know it! LOL  The Fav club is WAY too far off to thing about it, though we are calling them lavender at this point.  There are just a few breeders who have just barely started with them...

I also just posted an official thread about it on the Fav club site...I\'ll keep you updated on what they say. :)  Though I do know that Peter Merlin agrees with us wholeheartedly.

Lavender
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 09:53:29 AM »
I have an idea.......though i know its not my say. What if we called it blue lavender or lavender blue?  :thinking:

John

Lavender
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 11:47:39 AM »
lavender blue?

That was a beautiful hit back in 59 for Sammy Turner...dilly, dilly...but that has nothing to do with chickens.
If anything some of the anti-lavender crowd are willing to consider self blue/lavender or lavender/self blue.
If we are patient and keep promoting and showing our lavenders in a possitive manner as lavenders we will eventually win by acclamation!

Mike Gilbert

Lavender
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 12:14:26 PM »
John, I hope I live long enough to see it.   A lot of the dissenters are younger than I am.   I was thinking it would be nice if only breeds were recognized and colors just described, and the various names given to the different colors.   Then there would be no qualifying for different colors, and any variety in any breed would be eligible for BV and the higher awards.
If there is ever a new national poultry organization I really believe that would be the way to go.

John

Lavender
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 07:38:51 PM »
If there is ever a new national poultry organization I really believe that would be the way to go.

It reminds me of the difference between remodeling an old farm house and building a new home.  Building new from a new foundation up is the way to go in my opinion.  
The APA and ABA really should just merge.  They are in cahoots and one won\'t do anything without the other as it is.  I believe the ABA is the one that is more dead set against \"lavender\" and if the Silkie had been only a LF breed and only required recognition from the APA they may have had a chance at \"Lavender\".  
I was thinking it would be nice if only breeds were recognized and colors just described, and the various names given to the different colors. Then there would be no qualifying for different colors, and any variety in any breed would be eligible for BV and the higher awards.

That\'s a thought that I would have never came up with.  It\'s worth considering.  
There are so many problems with the Standard as it is.  I think it would be better to write a new one with an open mind than to try to make little changes here and there.  
The classes are messed up.  How many breeds of Rhode Island chickens are there?  RIR with a single comb is a different class than RIR with a rose comb.  A RI that is red is a different breed than a RI white.
Ameraucana chickens were developed in...you guessed it...America, just like RI, Delaware, Wyandotte, etc.  If they wanted to continue with the American class why didn\'t they put Ameraucanas in it?
I could go on for hours, but there are more important things in life.  

Birch Run Farm

Lavender
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 07:48:24 AM »
And they are putting Marans in AOSB too.  They are  French breed, should be Continental.  But I agree with the idea ameraucana and even araucana be added to the American Class, they ARE American developed breeds.

Is it just me or does the APA seem to fear change?

Mike Gilbert

Lavender
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 10:03:25 AM »
Quote from: Birch Run Farm

Is it just me or does the APA seem to fear change?

I think that is part of it.  The other part is they just don\'t want to learn anything new.   I have been criticized a number of times for talking about genetics.  And I am no expert by any means, just have a grasp of a few basics.

John, the other thing I would do differently if there were a new organization is make the Standard a loose leaf product only, with page numbers and revision dates on each page.
That way when changes are made the Standard could be updated by replacing just the appropriate pages.  This would save a tremendous amount of expense for both the organization and its members, not to mention the time and work it takes to produce a whole new Standard.  And that would also make editing mistakes easily correctible.   There would be a header section with the latest revision date of each page listed so people would know when the last change or edit was made.

Cloverleaf Farm

Lavender
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 01:36:35 PM »
Hmmm...sounds to me like we have our Pres and VP of the \"new and improved\" national club right here....  ;)

Or...if you guys ran for APA or ABA offices, I know lots of folks that would vote for change...  ;)

John

Lavender
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 01:50:50 PM »
make the Standard a loose leaf product only

Why would you want to move a 19th century organization in the 21st?  
Tradition, heritage and history are nice, but organizations that resist progress...don\'t progress.

Lavender
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 04:29:10 PM »
kinda like the apa dosent like splash the aba dont like word lavender