Author Topic: custom feed mixes  (Read 3968 times)

Beth C

custom feed mixes
« on: January 14, 2011, 02:05:37 PM »
I\'m fortunate enough to get my feed at one of the few remaining hammer mills down here (Onslow Feed & Grain, Richlands, NC - good folks!). Their layer mash is $19/100#, but only 14% protein, so I\'ve been mixing in some game bird, which I have here for the pheasants anyway. I\'m looking into whether it would be worthwhile to do a custom mix. I know a couple of people have mentioned doing this and would appreciate any advice.

Mike Gilbert

custom feed mixes
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 04:00:19 PM »
Most generally the layer mash is mixed by grinding a high protein/mineral concentrate with grain, usually corn.   I asked my mill to add enough concentrate to bring the mash up to about 20 percent protein.  I also made sure the concentrate contained both animal and plant protein.    Corn price has been rising lately, but my last order came in at a little over $52 for 250 lbs.   Not too bad compared with the Purina game bird breeder price.

Beth C

custom feed mixes
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 04:47:02 PM »
Not bad at all. I haven\'t used Purina products in years so not sure what their game bird runs here, but I\'m paying $17/50# for Nutrena. When I have it I add whey and/or excess milk and cut back on the game bird to save a little.

Cloverleaf Farm

custom feed mixes
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 05:31:53 PM »
Beth, our Purina just went up by $1.00 after Jan 1st, but with my son\'s 4H card, I\'m paying $15.19/50# for Flock Raiser, which is 20% protein.

Beth C

custom feed mixes
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 09:36:35 AM »
Hmmm - Fuzz is too young for 4-H, but definitely need to file that one away!

jerryse

custom feed mixes
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 06:49:20 PM »
I get a 18% duck pellet from a co-op that makes it.My last order of 600 lbs was $96.90.It has proven to be a good breeder ration.  Jerry

John

custom feed mixes
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 03:53:42 PM »
A friend and I buy 3 tons at a time from Kalmbach Feeds to get the better prices and they deliver it in 50# bags on pallets.  This last time the Game Bird Breeder was $12.58 a bag and the 22% chick starter was $13.42 plus state sales tax.  That includes a 2% discount for paying with a credit card.  They deliver to his house so I still have to make a couple trips there to bring it home and there is some gas expense involved.  
I\'ll have to check into having it mixed.  If I could get some good stuff for close to the $8 a bag cost that Jim has I would have to switch.

Mike Gilbert

custom feed mixes
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 05:45:29 PM »
I can buy 20% chick starter for about $11 a 50 lb bag.  Prince brand at a local mill, six miles from home.  If I go 6 miles the other way to a Farmers Coop, their 20% chick starter is $13 a bag.    It pays to shop.

Beth C

custom feed mixes
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 09:13:05 AM »
John: A bunch of us used to do that w/horse feed. Worked pretty well - saved 50 cents/bag and my buddy\'s house was closed than the feed store.

I don\'t think I\'ll come close to the super deal Jim\'s getting, but I should come in around $20/100# for 20% buying in 500# lots.

Tailfeathers

custom feed mixes
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 10:34:39 PM »
Here is a feed mixture that I used to do before I was separated and had more time:

Flock Raiser (2 parts)
Layer Pellets (2 parts)
Game Bird Flight Conditioner (1 Part)
Rolled Oats (1 Part)
Scratch (1 Part)
VigorPlus (½ Part)
Cat Food (½ Part)
DE (1/8 Part)
Acidophilus

To be honest, it just got to be too much of a hassle and time-consuming to continue to do.  So now I just feed them Layer Pellets and add in some Scratch, VigorPlus, and Catfood from time to time.  Every now and then, like once a month or so, I\'ll add some DE to their feed and put Rooster Booster in their water.  I also give them ACV in their water a couple times a month.  They get Flock Raiser and Gamebird Flight Conditioner when they help themselves to the duck and peafowl food.

God Bless,