Author Topic: Only lavender?  (Read 4739 times)

John

Only lavender?
« on: January 28, 2011, 09:29:24 AM »
In the 2009 ABC annual meeting the members present voted to have the lavender variety accepted by the APA/ABA as \"lavender\"
Since we started developing lavender Ameraucanas other breeders have started developing the variety in thier favorite breeds.  The Silkie club went thru the recognition process and although they wanted the name \"lavender\" they caved to the APA/ABA officials wishes and went with \"self blue\".
The Cochin people want self blue.
Orpington and Faverolles folks want lavender.

Blue Egg Acres

Only lavender?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 08:54:13 PM »
Should there be a button for placing a vote? Can\'t figure it out.

Cloverleaf Farm

Only lavender?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 09:13:43 PM »
You click on the circle next to what you want to choose.

Johnny Parks

Only lavender?
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 09:35:33 PM »
Now is this just ABC members voting or anyone who visits the forum?

John

Only lavender?
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 11:49:38 AM »
It should be just ABC members since only ABC members are supposed to be forum members, but some that aren\'t up to date with thier dues are still here.  

Cloverleaf Farm

Only lavender?
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 05:43:59 PM »
So what do you think John?  Is it getting fairly definitive yet?

John

Only lavender?
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 06:07:58 PM »
fairly definitive

I think so.  This isn\'t anything official, but it is what I expected.  Many more have voted since I checked this last.  
I really think the club will patiently wait awhile before going thru the process of getting the variety recognized.  This is the time to get them in the hands of as many interested fanciers as possible, having them show the best as \"lavenders\" (on the coop cards) at all the shows.  Articles need to written promoting all the breeds with lavender varieties in all the many print and online poultry publications.  They need to be talked about on all the poultry forums.  I believe lavender chickens are already better known than self blue chickens with most fanciers that were not into self blue and the general public.  The shows I\'ve attended over the past few years had more lavender chickens entered than self blue chickens.  I was in the radio broadcast business for years and the term \"name recognition\" was something businesses paid for.  It\'s a marketing tool and we have it on our side...for FREE!  Talk up lavender Ameraucanas, lavender Orpingtons, lavender Faveroles, etc.  Please use it often, of course always in a positive way, and the other desired recognition will follow suite.  Maybe we need some \"Pro-Lavender\" bumper stickers.  Perception is important.  I certainly wouldn\'t want to be anti-lavender...that just sounds like some kind of Grinch.

Cloverleaf Farm

Only lavender?
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 06:38:38 PM »
Quote from: John
I certainly wouldn\'t want to be anti-lavender...that just sounds like some kind of Grinch.

Yes it does! :)  That would be cool to have bumperstickers that say something like \"Do You have LAVENDER chickens??\"  Or \"Lavender chicken fan\", \"Lavender Lover\"...etc...

Beth C

Only lavender?
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 08:10:04 PM »
Bumper stickers are a great idea! I like \"Do YOU have LAVENDER chickens??\" When I tell people I have lavenders, people say, \"Really? That sounds neat!\" and start asking questions. I don\'t think I\'d get that reaction if I said \"self-blue,\" but everyone wants to know what a lavender chicken looks like.

Cloverleaf Farm

Only lavender?
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 06:24:49 PM »
With the recent thread about the grievance going on, I wanted to get this thread back on the first page to make sure it is seen by new members and voted on.  ;)

Only lavender?
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 01:22:34 AM »
Quote from: Cloverleaf Farm
With the recent thread about the grievance going on, I wanted to get this thread back on the first page to make sure it is seen by new members and voted on.  ;)

Evidently the polls have closed, as it would not accept my vote.

Cloverleaf Farm

Only lavender?
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 07:32:42 AM »
Quote from: SteveH
Quote from: Cloverleaf Farm

Evidently the polls have closed, as it would not accept my vote.

Darn!  John, can this be fixed???  There have been 2 votes in recent days though...???