Author Topic: Buff Coloration in Poultry  (Read 9347 times)

Beth C

Buff Coloration in Poultry
« on: February 06, 2011, 04:46:16 PM »
Does anyone know where I could get a hard copy of Buff Coloration in Poultry by Danne Honour? I found it on-line, but the file seems to be set up so that it can\'t be printed, and it doesn\'t seem to be offered for sale anywhere. It has a lot of good information but I\'ll go blind trying to read it all on a screen.

John

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 05:56:39 PM »
I did some searching and found this:
Danne Honour has a new book releasing soon:
BUFF COLORATION IN POULTRY (third edition 2010)
by Danne J. Honour.
Cover picture of BUFF LEGHORNS from 1904. This book contains (653 pages) and 379 articles on Buff, many by the great master BUFF breeders both past and present.
To order a copy contact: Ian Selby, P.O.Box 719, New Plymouth, 4340, New Zealand, http://www.poultrynz.com

I\'ve gone to that site and don\'t see the book listed, so it must not be out yet.
There is an article by him at...
http://www.exhibitionpoultry.net/images/ExhibitionPoultry1-3.pdf
Jean recently told me about a Dan Honour and said he is a breeder of buff...is that the same as Danne?  If so I\'ve seen him post on another forum.

Beth C

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 06:39:45 PM »
Thanks, John! I sent an e-mail. The one on-line must be the 2nd edition - looks like he added quite a bit.

I\'m not sure if that\'s the same person or not, but thought you might know him, since you & Mike were quoted in the book.

Wow - that was fast! In the time it took me to post, got a response:

Hi,
I will be printing this book soon.
I don\'t know the price.
It will be on www.poultrynz.com when its ready.
Regards, Ian Selby

John

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 06:59:42 PM »
That is the same site that has the reprint of START WHERE YOU ARE WITH WHAT YOU HAVE by Ralph Sturgeon...a little 44 page book that Mike and I have recommended and quoted from several times.

Birch Run Farm

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 07:00:39 AM »
Dan posts a lot on BYC, we have a buff leghorn thread going there but we discuss all buff breeds so you are welcome to join in.  He answers all questions very quickly and he will be able to give you more info on his books.  

John

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 09:26:22 AM »
Dan posts a lot on BYC,

So, is Dan the same as Danne, the guy that has the book that Beth asked about?

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 10:08:36 AM »
John, yes, Dan is Danne.  He also posts on the showbirdbid forum.   I do not and will not use the BYC forum after they deleted my post directing readers to this site for more info about Ameraucanas.  

Beth C

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 12:52:42 PM »
Thanks Anne - nice that he\'s so accessible!

John: I was just thinking about that book the other day (after reading a discussion elsewhere about how only \"irresponsible\" breeders would pass on a \"flaw\" - glad they can find flawless birds :rolleyes:) It sounded interesting when you first mentioned it, and now that I know where to find it I think I\'ll order it.

Quote from: Mike Gilbert
John, yes, Dan is Danne.  He also posts on the showbirdbid forum.   I do not and will not use the BYC forum after they deleted my post directing readers to this site for more info about Ameraucanas.  

I\'m not a big fan of BYC, either, but I never heard the story about your post being deleted - what happened?

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 04:41:06 PM »
Quote from: Beth C
[I\'m not a big fan of BYC, either, but I never heard the story about your post being deleted - what happened?

Not much of a story.  I was on a discussion thread talking about Ameraucanas, not pushing any agenda or anything, so thought I would post a link to this site.   I received a stern warning that they would not tolerate links to other discussion forums.   At that point I surmised they were more interested in market share for advertising revenue than they were in disseminating accurate information.  Life is too short to deal with that kind of thing IMHO.

Birch Run Farm

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 01:41:05 PM »
But this forum is only open to members so your anger at BYC is kind of unwarrented, isn\'t it?  ABC has rules, BYC has rules...  Just saying!

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 03:15:30 PM »
Nobody\'s angry.  I just have better things to do in life than be censored for no good reason.   I use the Showbirdbid array of forums, Classroom at the Coop, and several breed club discussion forums.   That is plenty of time to spend on the internet.  

eliz

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 12:47:22 PM »
HI, isn\'t this forum open to anyone, but to post you must be a member. ???????eliz

John

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 02:15:02 PM »
isn\'t this forum open to anyone, but to post you must be a member

Yes...all can view, but only members can post and only ABC members may be a forum member.

Beth C

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 07:03:13 AM »
I\'m starting to rethink selling on BYC:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=448485

Why on earth would someone pay $200+ for 6 eggs when they can buy 25 live chicks, box, shipping, vaccines and all, for the same money????

John

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 10:27:06 AM »
selling on BYC

Wow...I could afford the chicken feed with that kind of money.  Maybe I should be selling eggs.