Author Topic: Leakage in Splash  (Read 4131 times)

heatherscooby77

Leakage in Splash
« on: July 23, 2013, 04:38:21 PM »
I have been breeding bbs Ameraucana for approximately 4 years now.  During this time period I have had several splash cockerels I have liked and have wanted to grow out.  Between 4-5 months as there feathers are coming in they get leakage.  I have had some with gold, some with red.  As soon as I notice the leakage they go into the cull pen.

So my question is do I automatically cull these cockerels.  Or should I cross them with a hen I know has 2 copies silver, is that what I need?  Or am I totally off the mark???  I understand some genetics, I am far from a pro.  I am wondering is there ever a splash cockerel/cock that doesn't have leakage?

John

Re: Leakage in Splash
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 05:34:11 PM »
Heather,

I believe it is best to not breed blues and blacks together, if that is what the "bb" stands for.  The best blacks will carry gold, while the best splash and blue birds will carry silver.  Also, to get the best lacing on blues you will want to breed blue to blue.  Christie started a great topic on this.
For blue birds cull the splash and blue birds that show any gold.  Take the best splash (silvery...no gold) male(s) and put him over your best blue (laced if you have any) females.  Keep only the pullets from this mating.  They will only carry silver, due to it being sex-linked.  Use that best splash male over them and all the offspring should be pure for silver. 
If you have to go back to an outcross using black be sure to only use black females and then only keep the pullets to breed from in your blue and/or splash project(s).  This is also true when an outcross to black is needed to improve size, egg color, feather quality, etc. of lavender strains.   
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:40:15 PM by John »

heatherscooby77

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 11:40:36 PM »
Thank you John!

John

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 12:20:47 PM »
Hi John,

I’ve been reading this thread and trying to decide what my next step should be. Genetics are fairly new to me but I an slowly learning. This is my first year working with the black, blue, splash variety. The best I had to work with was a black male over blue females. I have hatched some nice blue pullets but the problem is that almost all of the blue males have had poor color/lacing and the black males have varying amounts of leakage in the hackles and around the head.  My thoughts are to cull all the males and find a good splash male to put over the pullets as you suggested to Heather. Does this sound like the right direction to go?

Thanks!

Max

Max,

It is only my opinion, but as I said above I believe the black, blue and splash varieties should be bred as the separate varieties that they are to get the best of each.  Part of the reasoning is because different genes are required in each to get the desired color/pattern in each. 

I suggested Heather use the splash cockerels that she said she has and likes...using ones that don't show gold.  FYI...she mentioned a hen with two copies of silver, but since it is a sex-linked gene females only have one copy of silver or one of gold.  This is why a cock with 2 copies of silver (S/S) over a hen with one copy of either silver (S/-) or gold (s/-) will only produce pullets that are pure for silver (S/-).

If you are trying to produce blues I would use the pullet in your photo (or better if ones are available) with your best blue male (showing no gold).  The next year put the best cockerels over the hen(s) that you used the first year.  Develop at least two lines to breed back and forth.  Be on the lookout to obtain a better laced blue Ameraucana to bring into your project.     
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 03:00:43 PM by John »

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 03:03:39 PM »
Thanks John,

That pullet is only 2 1/2 - 3 months old and I have many others that are older and better. I guess I am in the market for a good blue cockerel...
Max Strawn