Author Topic: What can cause loss of egg color in pure Ameraucanas?  (Read 9396 times)

Tailfeathers

What can cause loss of egg color in pure Ameraucanas?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 09:41:57 PM »
Thanks Mike for the correction.  That\'s what I get for trying to figure it out in my head.  A simple plug-in calc on the Punnett Square shows 50/50.  I think what confused me is that I\'m pretty sure I\'m dealing with Oo and Oo matings in some of my breeding pens.  My guess is that\'s how I turned up the pure white eggs from at least two pullets this past year.

Having said that, one would still want to raise more than a handful of birds wouldn\'t they?  Just be to be sure & let the percentages work out?

I don\'t have a problem getting rid of excess birds.  Hens are real easy and the males have been pretty easy to sell in the past.  Knock on wood.  

God Bless,

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 10:10:56 PM »
Quote from: Tailfeathers
Having said that, one would still want to raise more than a handful of birds wouldn\'t they?  Just be to be sure & let the percentages work out?

I would want perhaps 6 to 8 pullets out of each bird tested, just to be sure.  Especially if going to all that trouble anyway.

Birddog

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 05:47:26 AM »
Thanks for your help again . The only splash  pullet I have lays a big real light blue egg of all the I collect her\'s are the prettiest to me.