Author Topic: Chicks  (Read 6941 times)

Cloverleaf Farm

Chicks
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 02:21:10 AM »
Quote from: hjesse2003
are lavender splits soild black? i know in silkies there black with silver hackles

the couple that I have hatched that are feathered out are solid black.

faith valley

Chicks
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 10:00:11 AM »
I never thought about using a suet basket- what wonderful idea.  I have my hatcher tray divided into rows to separate eggs, but it would be nice to use the basket when I have just two or so eggs that need to be divided off.  Cool idea~ thanks

Patty

Beth C

Chicks
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 10:50:56 AM »
Crystal posted this on another site and I thought it was such a cool idea I had to try it! I\'ve picked up several neat tricks from her.  :D

Cloverleaf Farm

Chicks
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 12:22:58 PM »
I got one of the big treat baskets for when I need to seperate things.  Looks just like a suet basket, but it\'s about 3-4 times the size. :)

crystalcreek

Chicks
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 09:32:03 PM »
I\'ll post a picture; I have to downsize it first.  Three fit nicely in a Genesis 1588 with room all around for a total of four divisions.  I bought mine in the Garden dept at Lowe\'s but they are available just about anywhere.  I was concerned a chick would hang itself, but have not had any problems so far.

crystalcreek

Chicks
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 09:36:19 PM »
Here\'s a pic

crystalcreek

Chicks
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 09:38:02 PM »
I can fit 9 of Paul Smith\'s pullet\'s eggs in one or 11 or so normal sized ameraucana eggs.

crystalcreek

Chicks
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 09:57:23 PM »
And sorry my humidity device is so \"in your face\"; it is what it is.  :)  I use air hose tubing and can add water through the vent hole without even opening the lid...very handy during the last three days....

Beth C

Chicks
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 06:38:53 AM »
I got mine at Wal-Mart - think they were about $2. I like that they\'re coated wire - makes them easy to clean. You must have the larger ones. I can fit 6 eggs in mine, but they were a bit cramped when they hatched, so I\'m going to try the treat baskets. Your humidity device cracks me up, but it\'s a great idea!