Author Topic: Club Points  (Read 17802 times)

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Club Points
« on: March 01, 2011, 08:24:58 PM »
Some other clubs give their members points at shows and currently we do not.  I have some examples of how other clubs do it and would like some more input on the subject.

To me it gives the term show quality a whole new meaning if the breeder does in fact show.

I am sure there are other members that have some good ideas too.

I would like to be perfectly clear on one thing; I do not think this is a job we should add to our Secretary/Treasurer Position.  We have already combined it into one and Michael does a heck of job......

I\'ve got to run to a meeting, but will be back later.
Jean

faith valley

Club Points
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 12:01:40 AM »
I was on the committee that wrote the Call Duck club point system, and was their \"Point Police \" LOL for several years.  If you are looking for a volunteer - count me in.

This is the system that we came up with - pasted below.  Just tossing it out there as a starting point for discussion.

Open point system
Supreme Grand Master Exhibitor:  10,000 Open points of all varieties added together.

Grand Master Exhibitor:  5,000 Open points of all varieties added together.

Master Breeder: 1,000 Open points in one variety.

Master Exhbitor: 800 Open points of all varieties added together.

Junior point system
Junior Master Breeder :  400 points earned in all varieties added together during an unlimited time frame, but before the youth\'s 19th birthday. These ameraucanas must be entered in the
junior show.

Junior Master Exhibitor: 100 points earned in all varieties added together during an unlimited time frame, but before the youth\'s 19th birthday. These ameraucanas must be entered in the
junior show.

Calculation of Points
B.V. Point calculation will be 1 point for every ameraucana exhibited within that variety/size (ie bantam or large fowl).

R.V. Point calculation will be 1 point for every ameraucana exhibited within that variety/size less one.

B.B. Point calculation will be 1 point for every ameraucana exhibited in that size.

R.B. Point calculation will be 1 point for every ameraucana exhibited in that size less one.

BB & RB are only awarded the higher BB & RB points; they are not eligible for the BV & or RV in addition to the BB & or RB points.

This system did not award points for anything higher than BB.  That was a point that was brought up in discussion, but since it was a new system at that time, it was decided to not award point for higher than BB.

This system awarded points for both standardized & nonstandardized varieties and also tracked those points by variety so that members could reference top point winners by variety if they chose to.  

By having a point system and loading the show reports onto the website, it is an easy reference for varieties that are striving toward standardization.  

I think a point system is a wonderful idea and am excited to see the discussion on this topic.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
Club Points
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 12:22:06 AM »
That is very similar to what I was looking at.  From what I can tell, the points in that system can be tallied using our current meet reports.
Jean

faith valley

Club Points
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 09:03:16 AM »
Absolutely correct, our current show report form is the same one that the Call Club uses- with some great tweeks from Michael of course. So, yes, the form we are using is perfect for tallying a point system off of.  Since you do store past meet reports as well, you could make it retroactive for a few years back if you chose to as well.

If you chose to adapt a point system similar to the point system that I outlined in the previous post, you might discuss whether or not to add some type of point for Best Ameraucana of show,  that would be higher than BB and it would be the best of both large and bantam. Our show report does include a section for Best ameraucana of show and reserve ameraucana of show.

Our current show report is not set up to show AOCCL or AOSB wins, but then that is winning over other breeds so it is probably not relevant anyway.

The other nice thing about a point system is that you can award a certificate or similar item for the top junior exhibitor and top open exhibitor for each year.

So let me plug a request if I may.  We are considering a junior point system as well as an open show point system  correct?

Patty

Mike Gilbert

Club Points
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 09:14:10 AM »
While I don\'t intend to be a points chaser, I have no problem with those who wish to participate.   It would probably increase entries at shows and therefore exposure to the public of our Ameraucanas.   Good idea, as long as we don\'t put an added burden on the secretary, and it sounds like that would not be the case.

John

Club Points
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 09:19:10 AM »
Master Breeder

I\'ve always been opposed to assigning a \"Breeder\" title to anyone based on exhibiting.  I know the ABA does it and I don\'t feel winning as an exhibitor necessarily has anything to do with breeding or being a master at it.
I don\'t have a problem with breed clubs acknowledging breeders or master breeders based on years of noticeable improvement or development of new varieties and breeds.  I just don\'t think it should be associated with exhibiting...IMHO  :)

faith valley

Club Points
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 09:44:28 AM »
John,

I agree with you on that point entirely.  I feel that master exhibitor is a much better title once someone reaches a designated point level. As you have said, showing and breeding are two entirely different things. I think the breeder level was designated for points received within just one variety, ie buff bantam.  In order for someone to reach a 1,000 or so points in one variety, they either have to have a  very nice pocketbook to load the classes or they are breeding that variety.  

I just put that point system example up there as a starting point of discussion; it is easier to say what we like and dont like if we are all looking at the same thing. I thing with great discussion we can develop a system that is unique & tailored to our breed, something that is perfect for our club.

Mike, you are correct in that once a point system is in place in a club, show entries do go up. This would be a way to increase the visibility of our breed on the show floor, and bring in many new members.

Patty

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
Club Points
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 11:28:45 AM »
I like the points system you have pointed out.  I think we may tweek it a bit to fit us better.

On the calculation of points, most of the other breed clubs count the number of birds exhibited minus your bird, because you didn\'t beat yourself.....

Maybe for designating different varieties, we just keep a tally for all varieties and if someone gets enough points to be designated a master exhibitor just in one variety, that would be pointed out.  They could also get a master exhibitor from a combined total also....
Jean

John

Club Points
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 11:40:23 AM »
Maybe for designating different varieties, we just keep a tally for all varieties and if someone gets enough points to be designated a master exhibitor just in one variety, that would be pointed out.

Just be careful how some of those titles are phrased.  A \"Master Buff Exhibitor\" may sound like it has more to do with streaking then showing buff chickens to the outside world.  :o :o :o
(not that I really care what they think)

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
Club Points
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 11:46:34 AM »
You\'d have to be in pretty good shape to get an award for that, otherwise your just going to jail.............  

John, The Master Buff Exhibitor....

Jean

Beth C

Club Points
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 12:29:03 PM »
*cough* *wheeze* I should have learned by now not to take a drink of soda before reading John\'s posts...

Master Buff Exhibitors may increase turnout - would certainly get us plenty of, er, exposure!

faith valley

Club Points
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 12:31:34 PM »
John,
I can not believe you just said that.  What a hoot!

Jean, you are correct.  The way I have done it in the past is to make a list of open show members & track open show points on that roster. Then make a list of junior show members and track the junior show points on that second  roster.  

By variety is a third roster and generally it is only open show points that get moved onto a \"by variety\" roster. That roster would be a list of open show members under each separate variety/ size.  Points get updated each month when the show reports are updated.  It is actually a fun reference tool for those that are looking to purchase birds for new stock and also it is a fun recognition for those that are super passionate about a particular variety/size.

Patty

Korfus Kluckers

Club Points
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 11:49:33 AM »
This is very similar to the UOC point system. We do award points for past BB because so few Orpingtons are shown. Same with Ameraucanas. So, in my opinion it would be nice for a bird to pick up a few extra points for beating those harder to beat birds, such as the infamous white Araucanas shown in my area. Below is what we could have:

Bonus points  to be awarded for Ameraucanas rising to Champion and Reserve AOCCL or AOSB. 5 Bonus points would be awarded to Champion AOCCL or AOSB and 4 to Reserve AOCCL or AOSB.

Cloverleaf Farm

Club Points
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 12:16:42 PM »
Quote from: Korfus Kluckers
This is very similar to the UOC point system. We do award points for past BB because so few Orpingtons are shown. Same with Ameraucanas. So, in my opinion it would be nice for a bird to pick up a few extra points for beating those harder to beat birds, such as the infamous white Araucanas shown in my area. Below is what we could have:

Bonus points  to be awarded for Ameraucanas rising to Champion and Reserve AOCCL or AOSB. 5 Bonus points would be awarded to Champion AOCCL or AOSB and 4 to Reserve AOCCL or AOSB.

This sounds great!

Tailfeathers

Club Points
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 10:41:11 PM »
You guys are a riot!  What a hoot!  The humor just made my day.

On a serious note, I\'d like to second all the above.  I think it would be great to have the Club recognize those who are putting forth the time, effort, and expense to get our great bird some awareness and recognition.

Most of the shows I\'ve been to, I\'ve either been the sole Ameraucana exhibitor or one of two.  The last show there were two of us but I had the only LF.  

Now I don\'t say that as a \"humble brag\" but rather as just an actual example.  I\'m sure others encounter the same experience.  So why not recognize those who, as I said, put forth the time, effort, and expense to promote the breed?

With regard to Master Breeder vs. Master Exhibitor, I\'m with John on that too.  I don\'t buy other folks\' birds just to show them myself but I know people do that.  How would one go about knowing whether or not a bird shown is one that\'s been bred by that person other than just take their word for it?  Just curious?

And for some, given that they may never see their name as an APA Master Exhibitor because of the lack of breed participation, it might be enough for them to see their name as an ABC Master Exhibitor to keep them from giving up on the breed and going to something else.

Just my thoughts.

God Bless,