Author Topic: FILING GRIEVANCE WITH ABA  (Read 8735 times)

Mike Gilbert

FILING GRIEVANCE WITH ABA
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 08:44:26 AM »
Quote from: SteveH
It would be my hope that those interested in getting this variety accepted into the APA would be willing to do so under either name.

Are you aware of the survey taken here?  I don\'t think that will happen based on those results.   We believe breed clubs that develop a variety should have reasonable naming rights, and we don\'t think this is an unreasonable request.

Beth C

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 11:10:26 AM »
We believe breed clubs that develop a variety should have reasonable naming rights, and we don\'t think this is an unreasonable request.

Amen. And I\'ll add that, even though I do personally prefer the name lavender, even if I didn\'t I\'d still throw my support behind the guys who put years of time, effort, and money into developing them because I\'m a johnny-come-lately benefiting from their efforts.

I may be missing something, but I can\'t seem to find anything in the ABA Objectives (or the APA Mission Statement, either, for that matter) about the naming of birds. But I\'ve highlighted a few things that seem to be in direct contrast to this gentleman\'s remarks:

From the ABA site:

About the ABA
\"Since 1914 the American Bantam Association has represented bantam breeders and their special interests. It has grown into a strong and vibrant national organization that promotes the breeding and exhibiting of all kinds of bantams.

Objectives

To encourage the breeding, exhibiting and selling of pure bred bantams.
To create a cooperative feeling among the different breeders so as to get better acquainted.
To sponsor national, semi-annual, state and special meets so as to build up a greater bantam fancy.
To assemble and distribute information on the breeding, husbandry and economic value of bantam chickens and ducks. \"

I am not a member of the ABA. I\'m sure Mr. Lhamon could care less what I think. From the \"Fire me, please!\" remark, it doesn\'t sound like he cares much what his members think, either. But as a new breeder and exhibitor, I have to say that Mr. Lhamon\'s remarks DO NOT encourage me to raise/show bantams, DO NOT create a feeling of cooperation, DO NOT encourage me to join the ABA or become \"better acquainted\" with him or people who think/behave the way he does. If this hobby is to continue to grow, I pray the he DOES NOT \"represent bantam breeders\" because alienating people is no way to \"build a greater bantam fancy.\"

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 11:59:48 AM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
Quote from: SteveH
It would be my hope that those interested in getting this variety accepted into the APA would be willing to do so under either name.

Are you aware of the survey taken here?  I don\'t think that will happen based on those results.   We believe breed clubs that develop a variety should have reasonable naming rights, and we don\'t think this is an unreasonable request.

No, I\'m not aware of the survey [new member]. I confess I\'m nearly totally ignorant of the entire process of gaining acceptancce of a new variety. Are bantams not recognized by the APA? If the APA accepts the term lavender, wouldn\'t the ABA follow suite?

I guess the term lavender fits due to the geneticists use of lav to label the dilutant; but they look neither blue nor lavender to my eyes................... pearl-grey seems more appropriate. LOL

John

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 03:20:36 PM »
Steve,
Click on this link to see the poll Mike is talking about.
http://ameraucana.org/abcforum/index.php?a=topic&t=1458
I agree the variety names don\'t always describe the colors and patterns very well.  Black and white varieties fit thier names, but I\'ve never thought any chicken really looked blue or silver.  I\'ve just tried to accept the accepted terms and use them.  I call self blue d\'Anvers \"self blue\" because that is the accepted (APA & ABA) name, but with lavender Ameraucanas our club (the majority) wants the name lavender.  All the reasons are on that other forum I mentioned, so I won\'t go into all that here.
The APA also recognizes bantams, but neither use \"lavender\" for any chickens yet (Guinea Fowl yes).  Most of the resistance to lavender seems to be from the ABA officers and some judges.  The APA and ABA are different organizations, but these days they are in cahoots and I\'m quite sure one won\'t recognize a bantam without the other.
The ABC isn\'t asking for any changes to the Standards or anything special.  
Not agreeing is fine with most of us, but as you can read on that forum there are some that can\'t have a civil disagreement.  That is what triggered an official grievance.

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 12:37:15 AM »
Thanks again John, I\'ll vote tomorrow after some prayer and meditation; maybe even some thought on the actual name. LOL

For entertainment purposes, an old add I always get a chuckle out of for \"True Ameraucanas\" that includes lilacs:

This auction is for 6 + extras as available from my beautiful Flock of Ameracaunas.THESE ALL LAY EGGS IN SHADES OF GREEN ONLY,MOSTLY a DARK OLIVE GREEN,With A few lighter Greens here and there.This Flock Has Been 12 years in the making and refined for a beautiful egg and great fertility.

The Roosters are 1 Blue Splash,1 RED(Partridge) and 1 Beautiful Multi colored roo,The hens are Golden,White,Blue,Blue Splash,Partridge,Wheaten,and Lilac.These eggs throw lots of Blue Chicks in several Shades